Chapter 39: New Year - Part 2

I walked back to my room furiously, clutching the white envelope until it beggef for mercy.

How? How did I not know this? Why wasn't I informed.

I swallowed, taking a few deep breaths as another question popped up in my mind.

Why am I so affected by this?

My heart twinged in agonizing pain, making my whole body shudder as I stood there, a few steps away from my room.

It hurts. I can barely breath...

Shaky breaths left me as I closed my eyes, and tried to calm myself.

I'm not dying, I'm not dying. I'm okay, (Y/N), I'm okay.

As the pain finally began to fade, I took calming breaths to gather my composure, running a hand lightly through my hair as I clicked open the door.

It was over midnight by now. Petra has probably come home.

And I was right. The strawberry-blonde was sitting on the edge of her bed, scrolling through her phone with an anxious face. When she looked up, her eyes flooded with relief.

She stood up. "There you are (Y/N)! I got scared there for a second."

I shrugged, averting my eyes from her. "I'm alive."

Petra noticed my actions, and walked up to me. "Hey.. you okay?"

I thought about it for a second, before shaking my head. "No, I'm not."

"What's the matter?" Her voice sounded so soft to my ears, and another pain struck my heart.

I took a deep, quiet breath. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what..?" So understanding, so calming. Just thinking on how her voice seemed to soothe problems made the pain worse.

"That... you and Levi are dating."

Petra jerked back, losing all that calming demeanor. "..I-....."

I turned around, facing her directly. There were so many things I can read in her eyes. So much, it began to jumble into a mess I can't even begin to decipher.

I stood there, waiting for her answer.

At last, she sighed and looked down, hiding her face from me. "....I'm.... sorry."

My eyes widened as I felt another attack of pain violently striking my chest. Somewhere, deep down in my heart, I had hoped she would deny it.

But it was true, and all it did was leave me in pain and confusion.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I managed to choke that question out.

Once again, Petra didn't answer for a moment.

"He.... told me to... keep it a secret. I'm.. so... sorry... for not telling you."

The pain spread to my stomach, making me instinctively leaned forward, clutching it tightly. I shut my eyes in pain, as a ringing sound filled my ears, followed by an excruciating pain in my head.

How dare he!!

The pain continued, but the voice said nothing more, leaving me in shock.

That voice had always been the one to calm me down with its soft, soothing tone, but this time, it made me shiver in fear. Never before had it snarled with so much hate.

I kneeled to the floor, trying to get rid of all the pain. My vision was blurry when I tried to open my eyes.

I could hear Petra calling my name over and over, but I ignored her.