Chapter 35

Clytia had tried calling him several times. Each single time, he ignored her calls. It was frustrating and exhausting. She was worried.

It was almost midnight when she heard noises downstairs. He was finally back. She laid down on the bed, pretending to be sleeping. When he got to their room, he stopped at the door. After a while, he went to the bathroom. She turned on her back, staring at the ceiling when she heard the water running.

Thank God he is safe!

Did she want to argue with him tonight? The answer was no! But they had to talk, make sure they were okay before he'd left in the morning.

When the water stopped, she spin on her side, eyes closed. The discussion could wait.

She felt the bed dipped on the other side as he slipped under the cover. An instant later, he spooned her, his nose in her hair and his arms around her.

"I'm sorry." He whispered against her ear.

"Me too." She replied after a moment.

"Are you mad at me?"

"No. I'm not."

"So, we're good?"

"I don't know. Are we?"

He didn't reply. His fingers were drawing random pattern on her skin. None of them knew how long they stayed like that. Nolam was the first one to break the silence.

"I should have listen to you when you warned me against Jo. I'm sorry. But you have to understand that every time I have to leave you here on your own, I'm worried sick. The area is pretty calm. However, you never know what might happen. Back in the US, even if I'm not around, I can have people at our door at any time of the day if necessary. I told you. I love you too much to lose you. And if it means being a jerk to protect you, so be it."

"Nolam..."

"Let me finish. I respect your work. And totally understand your point of view. But if there is a possibility that we accelerate things. I would be more than thankful. You don't have to give me an answer now. I just wanted to explain my position. I love you"

"I love you too."

The next day ...

Nolam was laying in the car beside Clytia. She was driving him to the airport. Their morning had been eventful. They made sure to avoid any sensible subject. After the breakfast, they got in the car. The drive was silent. Not awkward, but none of them said a word.

After she parked the car, she helped him take his suitcases out. She looked around. There were few people walking in and out. Luckily, no one seemed to have noticed them. She raised her head. He stood there, a cap on his head. She smiled. It had been a while since she had seen him wearing one.

"You're joining me next week-end right?"

"Yeah! Daisy sent me the ticket earlier." She answered, hugging him.

He hugged her back.

"Good. I'll be missing you."

"Miss you already." She replied taking a step back.

"You never answered yesterday."

"What was the question?"

"Are we good?"

She nodded. "Yeah, we're good. Come on. You should leave before I drag you back home with me."

He laughed. "I wouldn't mind at all. I'll call you as soon as I get there."

"Okay. Be careful." She replied as she hugged him one last time, then looked at him walking away from her.

When Clytia got home, she went straight to their bedroom and laid down. The events of the previous day were still on her mind. Jo had tried to contact them both. But they ignored her calls and messages.

Nolam didn't know yet, but she had already resign to her hierarchy at work and her HR. She was now on her notice period. Her boss had been so accommodated. She was really thankful for that. Yet, she was scared. It would be a big stretch from the life she had. She didn't mind the press. They would eventually settle down after few hours with another subject or scandal.

Nolam had been very patient. Time had come for her to be more opened to the world he was involved with. Their peaceful and private bubble couldn't last much longer. But she was sure she could count on him. And him on her. Together at last, they had built a connection that no one could severe. At least, that's what she wanted and needed to believe.