chapter nine ; dance with me

third-person povblood, sweat, and tears - these things are what it took for them to survive in that challenging moment

third-person pov
blood, sweat, and tears - these things are what it took for them to survive in that challenging moment. though they have made it through, they were nonetheless drained out of their minds and shattered out of their spirits. they walked and even sprinted for a little while, but they were exhausted. 

"are we almost there?" the journalist held her aching back, "i cannot go on anymore." 

the boy beside her sighed shakily, "not quite," he replied wearily, "but we have to until we can go back to the campsite and lay down. it's better than to rest in a place safer than to stop for a break in a possibly dangerous place." 

y/n was tired - so were the others - but they paid the piper by walking further and further. it was for their own safety and for their own comfort anyways: this was the better choice, after all.

in the long run, the others finally came back: back to the campfire everybody stayed in. "hey guys!" felix waved in an exasperated manner, holding himself up with one hand on his knee. as some of them approached the group, they assisted them in sitting down near the campfire, giving them the care that they needed.

"how was the trial?" nancy approached steve, who was fixing his hair. "decent. y/n got wounded in the long run, but she's doing alright by now," the boy answered, squinting his eyes as he looked over to the said girl. noticing discomfort unnoticed by y/n, he went over to her. 

it only took the journalist a quick sound of grass crunching behind her to be informed that he was behind her. "is there anything on me, steve?" she inquired, not seeing the said teenage boy shake his head from behind her. "not really, but there's this neon blade stuck to you, must belong to the trickster," he tonelessly replied, "do you want me to take it out?" raising an eyebrow, y/n nodded. "please do," she shut her eyes, "it hurts the more i'm aware of it."

steve was hesitant at first but managed to pluck out the blade that stuck onto y/n's flesh, who hissed in the slight pain she felt from it. clicking his tongue, steve brought the weapon close to his face, observing the tiniest details about it. y/n, as well, did so once she turned around to face him.

"he sure has taste in whatever he aims for," she said in an undertone, chuckling as steve eyes her with disbelief. placing her hands up playfully and shrugging her shoulders, she grinned. "i didn't mean it that way, harrington, she laughed, patting his shoulder as she quickly took back the blades, muttering a 'thank you' before making her way to her tent.

the silence consumed them before a tiny giggle erupted. "you seem to be taking a liking to her, harrington~" laurie elbowed steve lightly, laughing as the said boy rolled his eyes, chuckling a little. "yeah sure, i'm not! i'm just.. keeping an eye out for her," he muttered, causing the trio of girls that consisted of laurie, kate and yun-jin to awe in unison. in a flustered way, he let out a small laugh before returning to the tent he called his own.

the journalist sat down inside her tent, grabbing the magnifying glass that she had kept from her bag as she inspected the glowing material. "ooh, how intriguing..." she smiled to herself as she kept inspecting the item. just a few minutes after, yun-jin entered her tent she sat down beside the younger girl. "hey y/n.." she gave a small smile to the girl, who returned the smile to her.