Chapter 3

Despite my tired back aching, my manager continued to rant about his upset stomach.

“What if they cut you? You should be afraid of the CEO.”

“Yes, yes.”

“You’re still young and naive about the world…”

“Can you show me the practice room and introduce me to the other members?”

My manager gave me an annoyed look as I interrupted him, but I didn’t let it bother me with my thick skin that had been toughened by years of working in society. I was originally tough, after all.

“Seo Hoyun is acting strange today. He’s different after getting sick…”

He constantly mumbled as if possessed by some demon.

While walking down the hallway, I glanced at pictures of people I didn’t know. However, I recognized a famous actor who had transitioned from theater to romantic dramas.

They seemed to be a relatively successful agency catering to actors, but…

It was surprising to see an agency specializing in actors also have an idol…

“How many trainees are there?”

“What nonsense are you spewing? You’re the only ones here.”

“…What?”

“You were the only trainees who were brought together and debuted. Sigh… I’m really worried.”

Really?

Was that the plan all along?

While I was amazed by how poor the company system was compared to other places, my manager discreetly spoke to me.

“Hoyun.”

“Yes?”

“The kids, they can be a bit… sensitive. Their grades haven’t been great lately, so don’t be surprised no matter what you say.”

“Grades?”

“Grades…yes, to you, it may seem like grades. But don’t worry, I’ve been watching them closely, and they’re really good kids. They’re just under a lot of stress.”

When someone kept saying that the kids were good, it was usually the opposite.

As I calmly looked on, the tense manager quickly opened the door.

“Hey guys, Hoyun’s here!”

… Lord, I’ve lived a good life so far.

I wished the members I would be working with had been chosen thoughtfully.

“Seo Hoyun?”

However, I bit my tongue when I saw the members sweating and panting in the practice room.

This won’t work.

Yes, they were handsome. And, of course, idols were supposed to be good-looking. Being good-looking and pretty and singing well were all important. But in the Korean entertainment industry, where all the good-looking and pretty people flocked, simply being good-looking was not enough to stand out among the competition.

What, then, was the key to survival?

It’s all about star power.

How much you radiated and how effortlessly you exuded coolness were crucial factors.

As I observed the four members sitting together, I made my assessments.

Not quite there yet.

Being a star may not seem like a big deal, but achieving it was incredibly challenging. It’s necessary for creating fans who cheer for you at the slightest wave, yet it’s difficult to acquire. One must possess a dazzling charm or charisma.