Chapter 39

“Huh?”

Seong Jiwon rolled his eyes and smiled awkwardly.

“Where did you hear that?”

“They said you were a promising rookie.”

“I wouldn’t go that far.”

“I heard they were going to choose between you as the main vocal and center.”

“Well, among the members of Today, I’m the best, right?”

Seong Jiwon bragged without sounding obnoxious. He then asked another question.

“But why are you suddenly asking me about this?”

I felt embarrassed.

“Seo Hoyun, you know my position in Today, and it’s not just out of curiosity that he’s asking… You heard about that, didn’t you?”

Seong Jiwon had become very perceptive lately. It seemed like being chewed out like a squid changed him.

Seong Jiwon clicked his tongue.

“The world is small, too small. Bad news travels faster.”

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to.”

“You’re right. What you heard is correct.”

Seong Jiwon sighed.

“I ran away because I didn’t like the sponsorship offer.”

“…Oh.”

“I knew there was growing pressure. Some members of Today already had some talks about it. They treated me like a fool. They said it’s almost like being guaranteed, so why not take this opportunity?”

Seong Jiwon kicked a small rock on the ground.

“I was… honestly not sure. I really wondered if I was a fool. And it drove me crazy when my positions were taken away one by one. But then, one day, I don’t know why or how, but my mind cleared up.”

He couldn’t have forgotten.

Is he just beating around the bush because he doesn’t want to talk about it?

Seong Jiwon’s normally smooth forehead wrinkled.

“What am I doing? I realized I was going crazy. I chose that path. And after a lot of trials, I finally found my current agency. The CEO and manager are nice people. There is no pressure like that here.”

“They’re nice people?”

“Well… they’re good people.”

Seong Jiwon shrugged his shoulders.

The CEO and the manager seemed the same, pursuing their ideals and almost neglecting the members when the results didn’t come instantly. They had such talented people under them.

“After that, just seeing Today would make me feel sick, like I would throw up. But you know what?”

“What?”

“Since that receipt incident, it’s just been funny to me.”

Ah, that one. I remembered Yu Hyeok’s desperate face trying to get a receipt he thought was a note.

“Whenever I think of his expression, it still makes me laugh.”

“You also told Yu Hyeok to keep his mouth shut.”

“Haha! I got a bit carried away with that. Today’s expressions this time were no joke either. I’m definitely going to watch the show when it airs.”