The Sandlot: Heading Home

Benny told me he had a clinic today with the kids at the sandlot, I had to beg him to come. He has been so worried about me ever since my knee. I had an injury on my knee that ended my softball career. I really just need to be around some baseball. I have had to wear a knee brace ever since just to give me extra support when I walk. We both got introduced to all the kids, they were a cute bunch(as in adorable). "No way It's Benny Rodriguez and Y/n Rodriguez!" Yes I'm Benny's wife but I made a name for myself, we both did. I limped over to the dugout and remembered all the good times we had here. Squints came over with this new kid, he seemed to have a real attitude. "Oh I remember you, you always made things about yourself and always took Benny away from his work." I scoffed.

"I have done no such thing." Then I stopped to think. "Ok, you know what, just shut your mouth kid and it better stay that way or i'll"

"You'll what complain to me?"

"That's it you little pipsqueak, come 'ere!" I lunged at the kid but Squints stopped me.

"Oh y/n still feisty as ever." Benny came jogging over.

"Hey what's going on here?" Benny put his hand on my shoulder.

"Dis kid 'ere is mouthing off ta me and I ain't likin it one bit." I said my Brooklyn accent coming out, which only happens when I get really angry.

"Ok, why don't we go focus on the kids honey, come along." Benny pulled me away.

"Take a deep breath honey, in...out...in...out..."

"I'm sorry Benny, I'm really working on it."

"I know you are, I know you are." Benny wrapped me in a quick hug and a quick kiss on the cheek then went over to the kids. "Now who wants to hit off a real pro!" He said, all the kids said no, they didn't think they were good enough, they also kept making excuses why they didn't want to like they couldn't work out their arm too much. "I will!" That mouthy kid said. He thought that he was some bigshot he kept calling himself Santa. Every pitch Benny threw to him he hit over the fence or to the fence, he kind of reminded me of Benny except Benny was nicer. "Nice job kid." Benny said, "you got talent." See what I mean, nice. I walked up to Benny with my glove.

"Get out of here amateur, it's my turn." I smirked.

"Ohhhh, you're in for it now Tommy." Squints said

"Oooo, are you sure you can?" I rolled my eyes at him.

"I am fine, Benny now please. Your girl's got this." He rolled his eyes and laughed. I took the baseball from him.

"Let's see you hit this Santa?" I did my windup and threw my pitch. My knee gave out once I finished the pitch. I fell in the dirt in pain, Benny came running up to me.
"I told you this wasn't a good idea y/n, you could get hurt even worse." I looked at him.

"There is no worse Benny! This is it, this is as bad as it gets! I can't play anymore, I can barely walk!"

"I know, I know, and I know you're frustrated but we'll get through this, now let me help you off the field." Benny helped me up and walked me over to the dugout.

"This is why I need you in my life, you make everything good. I love you." I said, he smiled.

"I love you too." He gave me a kiss on the forehead and went back to the guys. Squints sat beside me.

"Hey, 2.0 you okay?" 2.0 was my nickname, I was known as yeah-yeah 2.0 because I say yeah-yeah a lot just like yeah-yeah, they just call me 2.0 for short. I laughed. "Man, I haven't heard that name in years."

"You're telling me that Benny doesn't call you 2.0!" Squints looked surprised. I just shook my head.

"No, not really."

"I'm going to have to have a talk with him later."

"Oh Squints." I laughed.