Chapter Ten

Morning came too quickly for those in chains. It seemed as if they had only just fallen asleep. Ribs were kicked and harsh voices ordered them to wake. This morning though, was a little different than most. Breakfast was being served. Aiden handed out bowls and spoons. George filled them with hot porridge.

While they ate, Pead and Louis entered through the stable door. They spoke and then shook hands.

Pead called to Murchison. "Unshackle the fair one. She stays."

The convicts looked at Pead then turned their heads to look at her.

It took Jessica a moment to register. She felt so cold. A voice in the back of her head told her she didn't have to walk today.

She was staying.

Her heart beat faster. Her body trembled. Relief washed over her. She felt so tired.

Murchison was at her feet, struggling with the fetters on her ankles. Once he released the locks, he needed a hammer to help free them.

With each blow pain shot through Jessica. The skin of her ankles was raw. She clenched her teeth against the agony and felt like she was going to faint. Jessica hung her head. She didn't want these men to see the torment on her face. Their eyes burnt into her flesh as they watched Murchison bring the hammer down once more. It slipped and smashed onto her shin. A hot spasm of pain seared through her body. A scream that seemed to belong to someone else was the last thing she heard.

"Jessica." Someone was calling her name. She was picking flowers that grew near the cherry tree and she wore her wide-brimmed summer straw hat.

"Jessica." She turned to see her father. He waved and called to her. He was a long way off so she couldn't see his face properly. She waved back, glad to be seeing him.

"Jessica," he called again. She could smell him. He had been working with the horses. She liked his smell. A mix of sweat, hay and earth. His body touched hers. She couldn't understand why because he was so far off. Anxiety gripped her stomach.

"Jessica." She was moving, but not walking. He was holding her, yet he was still too far away.

"Jessica."

Consciousness returned. She opened her eyes. The man was looking down at her. He was crossing the courtyard with her in his arms. Jessica tensed. She placed her hand on his chest and tried to push free but he held her tight.

"Good, you're awake."

Jessica pushed harder. She struggled to break free of his hold.

He halted and shuffled her in his arms. "Stop!"

When he looked down at her with his vivid blue eyes Jessica did stop. She was so tired. Her eyelids felt heavy but she forced them opened and tried to concentrate on his face. As he moved on, her lids drooped. She struggled. He stood still once more and lifted her higher. The movement jolted her leg. Jessica tried to hold his gaze as she twisted her body.

"Stop, Jessica."

His voice was tender. Jessica searched his face. She felt weak and cold. There was pain in her leg. No matter what, she couldn't let him touch her. Jessica looked down at where her hand pressed on his chest then pushed harder against him.

"You're hurt. You need to be carried," he said.

She looked at his face once more and saw concern in his eyes. How badly she wanted to give in. To let him carry her. To feel safe in his arms but pride, hatred and mistrust prevented her. Jessica didn't have the strength to push at him again. She let her head rest on his shoulder then sank her teeth into his flesh.

"Jesus!" His body tensed and jerked away from her, trying to free itself. "Ah...damn you...let go woman!"

Jessica saw his jaw muscles tighten in anger because she didn't free him.

"Have it your own way," he seethed.

As he placed her on her feet Jessica let go. She couldn't support her weight. Intense pain shot through her body. Jessica gasped for breath and crumbled. Before she fell completely to her knees, he caught her then lifted her once more. She was so cold. The heat of her tears burnt her skin. All fight was sapped from her body. He was so warm. She put her hand on his chest and gripped the fabric of his shirt. What would it hurt if he carried her? She let her head fall against his shoulder. Jessica heard the beat of his heart and thought how strong it was as her eyes closed and darkness claimed her again.

"Aiden. Go for the doctor as fast as you can." Louis called back across the courtyard. George was beside him and rushed forward to open the door. Louis carried Jessica into the kitchen.

"Alice, go pull the covers back on one of the beds," Louis ordered. "Mary, hot water and rags. Aiden has gone for the doctor but I want her washed before he gets here."

Well poor Jess isn't in a good way. Even weak and sick she's a tough cookie. I wonder if Louis will be able to make a friend of her. What do you think?

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote or comment. That way I know you're there ♥♥

I really appreciate all your support.

Copyright © 2018 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.