Chapter Seventeen

This chapter dedicated to the hard working team on Mystique Magazine.  

@Imperfetto_Tesoro - Editor. 

@tlryder - Book Reviewer

@MizUndahStood - Fresh Tea.

Thank you ♥♥♥ Reading January's issue made me get my butt into gear and update this book.  Go check out this magazine.  So....good ♥♥♥ 

Louis stayed with Edward Logan and his wife Kathleen when he was in Hobart Town. They had met and become friends when Louis first settled in Van Diemen's Land.

Edward, a tall thin man who surpassed Louis's six foot two inches, was surgeon to Hobart's Female Factory.

They were sitting in the library of the single storied building, playing cards. Louis was gaining the upper hand.

"Ah, Louis!" Edward laughed. "I am glad to have you back with us. No-one beats me at cards the way you do."

"That's because no-one else is brave enough to beat you," Kathleen said. She tugged on her embroidery thread, tittered and looked over at the two men. "He is such a bad loser, Louis."

"Well," Louis chuckled as he stood and stretched his back. "It looks like I'd better stop playing while I'm winning insufficiently enough to still have my life."

Edward roared with laughter. "No, Louis, you're not quitting on me."

"Yes, Edward. I'm sorry but my bed calls me. I promise to let you beat me tomorrow." Louis grinned at the look on his friend's face.

"I too shall leave you, my love," said Kathleen. She tucked her needle work into her basket then went and kissed her husband on the top of his head. Kathleen extended a hand to Louis. "Good night, Louis," she cooed, as he kissed her hand.

"Come on, Louis you cannot leave me!" Edward moved toward the drink table. "One more glass, now that my lady love has left us. I have some news about the woman you wanted me to find."

"You are such a bad influence." Louis held up his finger. "One and no more." He sat and lounged back in his chair. "So tell me, what have you found?"

Edward lifted the bottle of port and took it with him. He topped up their glasses and relaxed in his armchair. "She had a son who has since died. I am in the process of making arrangements for her to sail later in the year, on a Copeland ship."

Louis watched as the man held the woman in his arms. His tender caress brought tears to her eyes. The man was sweat stained and bloodied from the bout he had just fought. He pushed her gently from him. The crowd grew impatient and unruly for the next bout to begin. She looked up and out toward the noise. She didn't see Louis standing in the shadows.

"This is great news, Edward! I didn't expect you to find her so soon." Louis beamed. "How long has it been? Eight months, since I first asked the question." Louis chuckled and nodded his head. "I'm impressed, Edward. Perhaps next time we play cards, I will let you win."

"Let. What do you mean let? I'll be on my best form next time," Edward laughed and slung the last of his drink into the back of his throat. He filled his glass once more but noted Louis hadn't touched his. His friend had a pained look on his face. "Is something the matter, Louis? You don't appear to be totally happy with this news."

Louis sat forward in his chair, elbows on knees, rolling the glass backward and forward between his palms. "No, Edward, it's not that." Louis paused in thought then said, "Now you've helped me once, I'm wondering if you'd be prepared to help me again."

"Of course, Louis! What troubles you?"

"I need some information about a convict woman I have recently had assigned to me."

Edward frowned. "Is she giving you trouble?"

"No, not that." Louis shook his head and smiled. "Her name is Jessica Reily. She was assigned to Captain Grayson. There was a problem, apparently. I'm not sure what but now I have her. All I know is her name, she's Irish and educated. A thief I'm told and has been transported for seven years for her crime." He looked over at Edward with a serious look on his face. "She was grievously ill when she came to me. In the depth of fever, she called out some names. I want to know who these people are, Edward. Do you suppose you might help me?"

"I shall try, Louis. First let me fetch my writing set so I can record what information you have." Edward went to his study and returned with paper and quill. He settled in his seat and said, "Now, Jessica Reily, you say. What ship did she arrive in?"

"I have no idea, Edward. She was delivered by Pead, the magistrate's muster-master."

Louis waited while Edward wrote.

Edward lifted his head and said, "She was assigned to Captain Grayson, you say?"

Louis nodded then took a mouthful of his drink.

Edward wrote some more. "These other names, Louis. What were they?"

"She spoke of someone called Adam. I wonder if perhaps this is her husband. She also said the name Loxton though I have no idea whether this is someone's name or a place."

Edward finished writing and put down his quill. "I'll see what I can do. How long are you here this time?"

"Two weeks, I have quite a deal to do." Louis leaned back in his chair and swallowed the port left in his glass.

"I'm sure to have something for you by then." The two men stood simultaneously and bid each other goodnight.

Copyright © 2018 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.  

Sorry it's taken me a while to update.  With the Festive Season, family, friends and everything that goes with it I've been very time poor.  

Thanks so much for hanging in there. xoxo