Chapter Sixty-One

By the time he returned Jessica was in the water. She had removed her skirt, blouse and chemise but had left her drawers on and had donned Louis's shirt. She was enjoying the coolness of the water on her skin and was sitting on the pool's sandy bottom, the water up to her neck. The ribbon in her hair was swept sideways by the gentle current. She had heard him coming down the track but remained with her back to him.

"Is the water cold?" he asked as he took off his boots.

Jessica didn't turn around in fear she would catch him undressing. "No, Master, it is very nice. Just as you said it would be." The wine she had drunk had relaxed her. Jessica enjoyed its mellowing effect.

Louis left his trousers on and entered the water behind her. He slid under the surface and swam to the centre of the pool where he resurfaced, facing her. "So...would you like me to teach you to swim?"

She shook her head. "No, Master, to paddle is just fine thank you."

He smiled at her. "You're not afraid are you?"

Jessica laughed. The wine had increased her confidence. "Of course I am afraid, Master!"

Louis laughed and slowly moved toward her. "Come out here where it's deeper," he said. "I'll hold on to you."

Jessica didn't have a chance to say no. He was suddenly in front of her taking hold of her hands.

"I won't let anything happen to you. We'll only go where you can touch the ground."

Jessica tried to take her hands out of his, but he held on tightly and pulled her deeper into the water. She panicked, not sure if it was the touch of him or the depth of the pool. "Please, Sir, I don't want to."

"You'll be fine, Jessica." Louis smiled affectionately at her. "I'll hold on to you," he said as he wrapped his arm around her waist. Louis felt her tense and hold her breath. He knew he shouldn't have touched her but he couldn't help himself.

"Master I would like to get out now," she whispered.

Louis looked at her anguished face. Life's breath surge through him making him feel alive. He stroked the bruise on her cheek, but he did not let her go. "I want you to call me Louis."

Jessica was shocked by this request. His brother had also asked her to use his first name and that had not turned out well. Her breathing quickened at the feel of his hand on her tender skin. "Why?" she gasped.

"Because I don't want to be your master today." He slid the ribbon from her hair and let it float away in the water's current. "Jessica you must know how I feel about you," he whispered.

"I am afraid, Master!"

"Louis. Please call me Louis." He found it hard to breathe so drew in a long slow breath. "I am not going to hurt you." Louis stood up in the water, with her rigid body in his arms, and studied her face. "Put your arms around my neck, Jessica."

She stared into his eyes. His soul if that was possible because she was mesmerized by the way he looked at her. "What are you going to do to me, Master?"

Louis smiled down at her. "Nothing. Nothing you don't want me to do," he whispered.

She felt herself being drawn to him as if he was absorbing her thoughts and controlling her mind. Jessica slid her arms around his neck not breaking eye contact in case he should be lost to her.

"My name is Louis," he said, and then moved toward the large rock on the other side of the pool. She held on tightly. Louis avoided the deepest area and found familiar footings under the water. When they reached the other side he found a rock that was just under the water's surface and sat on it, with Jessica on his lap. She released the hold on his neck. Louis grabbed her hands and placed them on his shoulders. He wanted her to hold him but didn't know how to ease the anxiety she so obviously felt. He took her face in both his hands and leaned toward her. "Don't be frightened of me," he uttered into her ear.

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.  

Thanks so much for sticking with me. xoxo

Photo of the real Fairy Dell at top of page.

I hope Louis doesn't stuff this up :(