Chapter Forty-Four

They rode in silence the rest of the way to Launceston. George sensed the tension between them. He could see how they felt about each other, they all could. Louis and Jessica appeared to be the only ones blind to what was happening between them.

They pulled up outside the store. Louis tethered his horse. Jessica didn't expect it but he came around to her side of the wagon to help her down once more. She was going to refuse his help. When she saw the stern look on his face she changed her mind.

Louis wasn't very gentle when he lifted her down, his grip was tight and the force with which he stood her on the ground was hard. He left her standing there and went to George with the supply order in his hands. "Here, George give this to Ingalls, I'll be back shortly."

George nodded and watched as Louis strode back to where Jessica stood and took her by the arm. He led her across the street to the haberdashery shop. Jessica in her long skirt had trouble keeping up. The bell in the doorway rang as they entered.

It was dark and musty. The sunlight filtered through the few small windows, lighting up the dust flecks, which floated in the air. A woman in her mid-thirties came from behind the counter toward them.

"Louis Copeland! It is so good to see you." She held her hand out to him.

Louis released his hold on Jessica and took it. "Charlotte nice to see you also."

Charlotte stepped back and looked Jessica up and down. "Well what have we here? She is very pretty, Louis." Jessica hung her head as Charlotte continued. "I can presume she is the reason I do not see too much of you these days." She tittered and fluttered her eyelashes at him.

Louis didn't smile but said sternly, "She needs a warm coat for winter. Warm under garments and, a new hat. Can I leave her with you?"

"Yes of course, Louis."

He nodded and walked away but stopped and then looked back at them. "And a new dress. Something in blue."

"Of course." Charlotte beamed as he walked out through the door. An extra sale would put her accounts in a better light.

Jessica glared at Louis as he walked away. She was still hurt by his words and to be told money had been exchanged for her was a shock. She'd never understand him. One moment he treated her with respect and the next well... she huffed, and then realised Charlotte was watching her.

"He does that to one doesn't he?" she said when Jessica looked at her.

Jessica frowned not sure of Charlotte's meaning so she said, "I am sorry. I did not mean to be disrespectful towards him. I just find him very moody is all."

Charlotte laughed. "I'm not sure moody is the word I'd use." When Jessica gave her a puzzled look she added. "Frustrated perhaps?"

When Louis came back to retrieve Jessica she was in the back room trying on a blue dress. She stared at Charlotte when the bell rang.

Charlotte patted her on the arm. "I'll be just a moment dear, better see who that is."

Jessica nodded and continued to pull the dress up and onto her shoulders. It laced up the front. The neckline was lower than she was used to. The bodice was fitted and tapered at the waist. She had just finished lacing it up when Charlotte came back into the room.

"Oh it is perfect for you, just beautiful!" she exclaimed. "Master Copeland is out there. He must see you in this."

"No." Jessica pulled at the laces to take the dress off.

Charlotte gripped her hand, nodded her head and laced it back up. "Yes, it looks beautiful on you."

Jessica shook her head. "It's too low, the front. I do not think this is the sort of dress the master would want me to wear."

Charlotte, giggled, took Jessica by the hand and dragged her behind. "Let us allow him to decide, shall we."

Louis was standing with his back to them looking at some of the items for sale when they came from the back.

"Well, Louis what do you think? Is this blue enough for you?"

He turned toward them, raised his eyebrows, and smiled. "Yes. That is exactly the colour I had in mind," he grinned at Charlotte. She smiled back.

Jessica didn't see the exchange between them. She had her head hung, looking at the floor. She sensed Louis walking toward her so stood perfectly still as he moved behind her to stop in front of her.

"I think it's perfect but, I would not dare to presume too much." He put his hand under Jessica's chin and tilted her face upwards. "What do you think Jessica? Do you like this dress?" he asked.

Jessica swallowed the lump in her throat. Her stomach churned. His eyes were a deeper blue than she had ever seen them before. They held her transfixed. It took her a moment to regain her composure and answer, "Yes, Master. It is very beautiful but, I will never have opportunity to wear it, Sir."

Louis nodded thoughtfully. "Perhaps you're right. All the same, if you like it I shall buy it." He smiled at her affectionately. Jessica's heart fluttered. She smiled back. Louis thought perhaps his actions were a better apology than words.

Copyright© 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rightsreserved.

Do you think Louis' actions are better than words?

Thanks so much for sticking with Jessica and Louis. ♥♥♥