Chapter Ninety-One

Louis took some rooms in a boarding house in Belfast. They were old but clean. Mrs. McCallum, his landlady was thrilled to have a handsome gentleman come and stay with her. She was a plump, fussy little woman who reminded Louis a great deal of Mary. She fretted over his meals and was constantly asking if Master Copeland was comfortable. Louis patiently answered all her questions and when he smiled at her he noticed she often blushed.

Once settled Louis wrote to a solicitor to request their services. In the letter he outlined that he wanted information on a man known as Lord Adam Loxton. Louis also instructed the solicitor to trace the Lady Jessica Loxton. He asked if they could gather as much information on these people as they could, and if so, that they would be paid handsomely. Solicitors, Border and Rowles wrote back saying they would be delighted to take up this commission and that they would send for him as soon as they fulfilled his request.

Louis had been established at Mrs. McCallum's for five weeks when the solicitor sent him a letter.

Master Copeland,

It is with great pleasure I write to advise you that the offices of Border and Rowles have compiled the information you required. If you would please meet with us at ten tomorrow morning, we shall have the said information available for your inspection.

Yours sincerely,

William Rowles.

*****

Mr. Rowles was a tall well-set man with thick greying sideburns and half spectacles that were positioned on the end of his nose. He held his hand out in a warm welcome to Louis.

"Ah, Master Copeland, come in." He swung his hand behind him as he himself stepped backwards into the room. The offices of Border and Rowles were not lavish, but had the necessary desks and chairs, bookcases and filing cabinets. The walls were lined with polished timber and certificates of both men's qualifications hung in frames, alongside portraits of two men, whom Louis assumed were Mr. Rowles and Mr. Border.

William Rowles sat in his chair with his hands folded across his rather large round stomach. He followed Louis's gaze with his own. "You like our portraits, sir? Though we were much younger then, and alas Mr. Border has been dead these past five years." He laughed a little at the memory of his partner. "I still keep his name on the sign, for I am sure he would come back to haunt me if I dare take it off. He was a good friend as well as partner." He sighed and nodded as if speaking to the portrait of his friend. Then he looked back at Louis and pointed to a folder that was placed in the middle of the timber desk. "All of our notes are in that folder, sir, but if it would please you I could relay what is inside and you can take the folder home with you to peruse at your own leisure."

Louis leaned back in his chair an ankle across one knee. He nodded when Mr. Rowles had finished speaking and said, "I would prefer it."

William smiled, leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table. "Our sources tell us that, at the time of our search, the Lady Jessica is in fact in residents on the grounds of Loxton Hall."

"What do you mean on the grounds?" Louis let his foot slid from his knee and clasped his hands together as he peered at the solicitor.

"Lord Loxton's wife apparently would not have Lady Jessica living in the same house as she, so His Lordship has established her in the gatehouse at the front of the property." Rowles opened his folder. He flipped through the pages until he found what he was looking for. "Ah yes, here it is," he said. "She has with her a housemaid named Hannah, who has children. Sons. We're not sure of their ages. She is His Lordship's mistress and they are his children. Lady Jessica has been living in London for the past two or so years." He paused and looked Louis in the eye. "Lord Loxton is in financial difficulty. There have been recurrent crop failures. The whole country is feeling this I am afraid. His Lordship has put Loxton Hall up for sale, though I doubt he shall find a buyer in times such as these."

William pushed the folder toward Louis. It was opened on a page that was covered with lists and numbers. "His Lordship has a very demanding wife," William said, and then added, "It would seem there is a drinking and gambling problem. Most of his money has been frittered away. The house and land are debt free. It seems they are living on the sale of jewellery, paintings, silverware etc. Loxton is not a stupid man and has tried hard to control his wife's eccentricities and to bring the farms back to productivity but as I said the whole country is suffering. Potato supplies are down significantly and many are worried the countries future looks grim." William sighed and then looked back at the folder. "We have gathered that His Lordship has brought Lady Jessica back from England because he can't afford to keep her there any longer." William closed the folder and slid it across the desk towards Louis. "It's all in there, sir. If there is anything else Border and Rowles can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask."

Louis took the folder and read down the list. He looked up at William, closed the folder and said, "I should like to make an offer to buy Loxton Hall."

"Sir!" William sat stunned and shook his head. "If I may say, sir, you would be a fool to enter into such a transaction."

Louis waved his words aside. There was no way he was going to let Adam Loxton take Jessica's home from her. "I understand but I intend to make an offer. One that you think will be accepted. I also wish to remain anonymous." He paused and looked across the table at William. "Do you wish to handle this for me? I'll pay you well and will only disclose myself to Lord Loxton on the day the papers are to be signed. Do you understand, Mr. Rowles?"

William nodded. "An anonymous buyer. This is intriguing if you don't mind my saying." William stood and held his hand out to Louis. "I am captivated, sir. Perhaps one day you'll tell me the real reason behind all this secrecy but until then we have an agreement."

"Perhaps." Louis grinned. "I'm very pleased with your service thus far, Mr. Rowles. Handle this well and I shall not only tell you the full story but bring more business your way."

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Gosh I hope this purchase doesn't ruin Louis :(

Do you think he's doing the right thing?