Chapter Thirty-One

As they approached the home paddock the horse lunged forward excited to be home. This sudden movement jolted Jessica out of sleep. She flicked opened her eyes and when she realised where she was and upon whom she was sleeping, she instantly stiffened. Embarrassed she turned away from Louis saying softly, "I'm sorry, Master."

Louis didn't answer, disappointed at how she had responded when she realised where she was. He had enjoyed holding her. When he reached the gate to the yard Louis bent down and opened the latch. He encouraged the horse to walk across the courtyard, stopping at the back verandah. He climbed from the saddle and held his hands out to lift Jessica from the horse. She looked nervously down at him.

"Come," he said impatiently, then put his hands on her waist and pulled her from the horse.

She took hold of his arms, feeling his muscles contract as he lifted her. On impulse he held her close feeling the contours of her body against his before placing her on the ground. To fight the urge of holding her tighter he pushed her away and said, "Get inside. Wait for me in the kitchen." Louis tethered the horse near the water trough to unsaddle it later.

Jessica was sitting at the table when he came through the door. She stood immediately sensing his bad mood but not knowing what she had done wrong. Jessica wondered why the others never seemed to notice how moody he was.

Louis moved around the kitchen. He filled a bowl with hot salty water, placed some cloth and a bandage on the table. "Sit on the table, Jessica." He turned to reach for the tar that was on a shelf near the door.

"Mary would not like it if I sat on the table, Master." Jessica fiddled with her hair and stared at the ground not wanting to meet his gaze. When he said nothing Jessica peeked at him through hair that had fallen in her face. His jaw muscles clenched and his eyes were stony cold with anger. As he stepped toward her, Jessica stepped back.

When would this woman ever do as she was told? Louis placed his hands firmly on her waist and roughly seated her upon the table. He placed a hand on either side of her and leaned close. "I am Master of this house! You answer to me and no one else, do you understand!"

All pleasant thoughts drained from Jessica. She hated being near him, never knowing when he would explode. There was always something she either said or did which irritated him, and without thinking she snapped, "Why are you always angry with me?"

To hide the stab of shock he felt from her question, Louis laughed. He stepped away from her then sarcastically said, "Could it have something to do with the fact you never do as I ask the first time I ask it. Or perhaps It's because you generally have something to say in response to what I say." He curled his lip in a sneer and huffed. "I haven't decided what irritates me the most yet. But I'll let you know when I do." He took her by the chin and added, "So you can argue the point with me too!"

He took a knife from where it hung on the wall and roughly cut the material which bound her wound.

Pain shot up her arm because of his rough handling. Jessica bit on her lip to try and prevent tears from filling her eyes. She kept her face to the floor so he wouldn't see how upset she was.

Louis knew he had hurt her and instantly regretted it. She was right, he was always angry with her. He made issues about everything she did or said. He tried not to, but anger was his way of keeping her at a distance. His want for her was so strong that he didn't know how to deal with the feelings she evoked in him. He looked at her as she sat on the table. Her head hung; the blood on her cheek, the line of her neck. Louis sighed and then touched her chin. He lifted her face to see tears on her cheeks. He wiped them away with his thumbs. Louis cupped her face. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." He removed his hand and as if he'd said nothing, cleaned the blood from her gash, and put a bandage around it.

His touch healed her hurt. Jessica liked his large work hardened hands. They were strong, brown from the sun and stained by the earth.

"When you've washed and changed into clean clothes, I want you to go to the gatehouse to see if Mary needs you." Louis finished tying the bandage, lifted her gently from the table and headed outside.

Louis was nowhere to be seen when Jessica left the house. It had been three hours since she had first left on The White. She ran to the gatehouse hoping to meet the baby.

Aiden was sitting on the verandah of the house, nervously fiddling with his hat.

"Aiden is everything all right?" Jessica asked concerned.

"Mm, I think so. The baby's not been born yet, but I think things are going well," he said and then added. "Would you go and check, Jessica?"

"Yes...of course." Jessica stepped toward the door.

"Jessica," Aiden called her gently.

"Yes." She turned back to face him.

He gave her a shy smile. "Thanks for coming for me today."

Jessica beamed back at him, pleased that Aiden felt she'd done the right thing. She knocked lightly on the door and then pushed it opened just enough so she could call through the crack. "Mary, its Jessica, do you need anything?"

"Ah...Jessica, come in girl, come in." 

Copyright© 2019 by Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved

Hey all, thanks for sticking with this book. I really appreciate it.