Chapter Sixty-Eight

Jessica rode down the main street. She saw George walking along in front of her and kicked the horse into a trot to catch him. "George!" she called and waved.

He stopped and turned. When he saw her a wide smile spread across his face. "Jessica, what are you doing here?" he asked looking behind her for signs of Louis. "Is Master Louis with you?"

Jessica dismounted and gave him a hug. "No, I've had to come for the doctor. Baby Robert fell down the stairs. The master and Aiden are out in the paddock. I was the only one available."

"Is he all right? Do you need Gabrielle to go back with you?"

"The doctor seems to think he'll be fine." Jessica smiled reassuringly. "He said his reaction to the fall sounded normal, but all the same he's going to see him."

George sighed in relief. "Good," he said as his brow crinkled. "Do you have a pass, Jessica? Pead is in town?"

"No," Jessica gasped. "It's not something we thought of at the time." She peered at George in question. "Surely, he will understand?"

"All the same." George shrugged. "You know Pead better than most, Jessica."

She nodded her understanding, quickly kissed George on the cheek, and then mounted her horse.

*****

Pead stepped out in front of her as she rounded the corner to head out along the road toward Ashton House. He took hold of her horse's bridle. "What are you doing here?" He lifted his lip in a sneer.

"Alice's baby is hurt and I've had to come for the doctor."

"Your pass!" he growled and held out his hand for it.

Jessica bit her bottom lip, sucked in her breath, swallowed and said, "I have no pass."

"Very lapse of Louis Copeland." Pead raised his eyebrows and sniggered, "To not give his convict a pass."

Jessica didn't respond but stared down at him. Surely the man had some sort of heart in his chest.

"He knows you're here?" Pead ran his eyes from Jessica's face, down to her breasts and leg where her foot was in the stirrup, and then back up at her face. He smirked and waited for her answer.

"He and Aiden are in the paddocks working. I was the only one who could come. You must let me get back," she pleaded.

Pead laughed, lifted his cane and struck her across the thigh. "Get off the horse!"

Jessica clenched her teeth at the sting of the blow. She refused to flinch or move her hand to where he had hit her. She would not give him the satisfaction of knowing he had hurt her. "You must let me get back. I have come in good will. There was no one else."

"Get off the horse!" Pead smiled sinisterly and brought the cane down on her leg once more. He grabbed her by the arm and pulled her from the horse.

Jessica landed hard on the ground; her breath forced from her lungs caused her to struggle to breathe. The pain of it buckled her over.

"Still haven't lost any of your stubbornness have you wench?" Pead stood laughing down at her. He reached for her hair and pulled her to her feet, holding her by the upper arm. "Absconding should add at least six months hard labour to your sentence."

Pain burnt her chest as she yelled, "I wasn't absconding!"

"Insolence, you can add another six days in the cells on bread and water for that." Pead backhanded her closed fist, across the face.

Jessica's lip split. Blood trickled down her chin. She fell to the ground, dazed.

Pead stood over her and scowled, "I thought Louis Copeland must have had you well under control, but it looks to me like he has spoilt you."

Jessica clambered to her knees, trying to mentally access her situation. Pead, she knew, would add more convictions to her sentence, no matter what she did or said, so she decided to remain silent.

A crowd had gathered to watch the drama. It was something out of the ordinary. Something to fill an otherwise dull uneventful day.

Pead bent down and made her face him by pulling on her hair. "Perhaps he spoils you because you render him with additional services." He licked his lips and leered at her.

The hate Jessica felt for Pead had not wavered. She remained silent and kept her eyes to the ground.

He reached out and touched her breast. "Perhaps we can work something out?" he said raising his eyebrows and licking his lips once more.

Jessica pushed his hand away and spat at him. She breathed slowly in and out, waiting.

He held her close against him, her back towards his stomach. Jessica felt his hard body press against her.

Adam caressed her cheek. "I shall let the incident pass if you succumb to me."

Jessica could not believe what she was hearing. "I have told you before, no, you are my cousin!"

Adam laughed. "Cousin's marry." He slipped his hand into the top of her dress.

"I don't believe what I am hearing. I don't believe that you see no wrong in this?" Jessica yelled as she pushed his hand away.

"I have always felt this way about you, Jessica. You know this." Adam held on to her chin and turned her face towards his and kissed her.

Jessica bit him and freed herself from his hold. He touched his swollen lip with his hand. When he was sure there was no blood, he looked back at her. "You think you are so much better than I, always keeping yourself aloof and at a distance. Who do you think you are?"

Jessica backed away as Adam approached her. "Stay away from me, Adam!"

His lips lifted to form a sneer. "Stay away. Ha! Don't worry we shall be away from each other. Some distance away." His hand lashed out. The pain on her cheek brought tears to her eyes.

Pead slowly wiped the spittle from his face and glared at her. "Have it your own way!" He struck her once more, and then dragged her to her feet.

That bastard Pead is back :(

Copyright © 2019 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.

Thank you all for reading. I'd love you to vote, comment and even follow if you'd like.

I really appreciate all your support xoxo