Chapter Thirteen

Once Jessica was dry she put on the clean skirt and shirt. The clothes were worn but fitted. Alice brushed her hair and tied it back at the nape of her neck with a ribbon she had found.

"Well, don't she look a treat!" said George, as he came through the back door looking for his morning tea. "Different girl than the one I first saw."

Jessica folded her arms across her body as if to protect herself. She looked warily at this stranger. His face was vaguely familiar but her memory was clouded. She knew she had been sick and recalled lots of faces in her dreams, though she had no way of telling what had been real and what had been a dream.

He smiled at her. "Whatcha reckon we have some morning tea? Mary here makes a great cuppa." George pulled a face and gave Jessica a wry grin.

She watched him curiously.

"Her scones ain't too bad, either," he said then winked at Jessica with his blind eye. This looked so funny to Jessica that she couldn't help but smile a little.

"In fact, everything Mary makes is great."

Mary put her hands on her hips and faced him. "George Withers, if ye are tryin' to win me over with ye sweet words ye can forget it."

Jessica watched as the two bantered backwards and forwards. She could see they genuinely cared for each other. Her heart grew heavy.

"Da! Da!" Jessica rushed across the school courtyard. He held out his arms to her. "I've missed you so much. I don't want to be at school. I don't want to be away from you."

He held her close. "You must, Jessica. You must."

"Stop feeding the girl an earful," Mary scoffed. "Now come here and carry the pot, while I get these scones out of the oven."

George turned to Jessica with the same sardonic grin and winked again.

This time she didn't smile. Tears rolled down her face.

George stopped grinning and started toward her.

Jessica held up her hands and stepped backwards.

George stopped and tilted his head. "Tis all right," he said gently and stepped toward her again.

Jessica stepped back once more. She shook her head to indicate he shouldn't venture any further. She didn't want to cry and fought hard to control her tears. Through her blurred vision she could see their concerned faces. Jessica didn't want their pity.

"Tis all right," George said. "You're safe, now. No-one will ever hurt you again." He held his hands out to her once more.

Jessica gasped. Her chest heaved. She sobbed uncontrollably and covered her face with her hands, wanting to hide her shame. She didn't want these people to see how vulnerable she was. She wanted to stop the tears but she couldn't.

George was beside her, cradling and rocking her, as a father would his child. "I'm sorry, lass. I didn't mean to upset you. Tis all right," he soothed. "I bet these tears have been bursting to come out. It's over now. We'll look after you. Master Louis is a good man, you'll see." He tilted her face upwards, dabbing the tears from her eyes. "He'd have to be a good man to take on an old wounded dog like me! What do you say?" He gave her a crooked grin. "Here, lass, blow your nose and we'll have some of that tea."

George led her to the table and sat her on the bench. Jessica stopped sobbing but kept her head hung. She was so used to keeping people away. Now she felt exposed, ashamed, and weak.

The door opened. Aiden entered carrying an armload of chopped wood to fill the firewood box. "Just in time for mornin' tea, am I?"

"Would you like one or two scones, Aiden? Alice beamed.

"Two for sure, love," he bent down and gave her a kiss on the cheek then said, "George, I'll get you to give me a hand with the firewood later. I have more to chop and a heap that needs to be stacked."

"Aye, Aiden." Crumbs snowed on his chin. "These scones are lovely, Mare, could'na baked 'em better meself."

In the middle of their banter a chime rang, startling Jessica. She looked up to where the sound was coming from. Bells were hung high on the wall, each with its own number, indicating which room the occupant was calling from. This bell was number six.

"Goodness, the Master's morning tea. Quick, Alice, get the tray," Mary said, as she rushed about organizing what she needed.

The men finished their tea and headed outside to continue their work. Alice was stepping through the door with the tray as the bell sounded once more.

Jessica was left seated at the table by herself. She watched as Mary buzzed around the kitchen. She sat, not knowing what else to do. It wasn't too long before Alice was back.

"Better get Jessica to her bed, Alice," Mary said. "If Master Louis sees her he'll think we don't listen to a word 'e says."

Alice smiled and held her hand out. "Oh yes," she said. "Come on, Jessica. Mary has a point. We'd better get you to your room." She led the way down the hall, turning right into a wider passage and climbed the staircase there. She pushed opened the door. "Well, here we are! It's a nursery really. You can choose which room you want. Both have beds," said Alice as she led Jessica inside.

One was more to the centre of the house. You entered this room through a door at the top of the stairs. The other entry was through an adjoining door. The outer room had a large window looking out toward the gatehouse. Jessica drew in a long silent breath. The view from the window was perfect. It reminded her of her homeland.

Alice watched as Jessica looked out of the window and said, "It's very pretty here, isn't it?"

She didn't expect Jessica to answer so was surprised when she turned from the window saying, "When is your baby due?"

"Oh...in about three months," Alice tittered and ran her hand over her stomach.

Jessica sucked her bottom lip into her mouth then turned to look out of the window once more.

Alice thought Jessica was going to say no more so she moved to the bed and pulled the covers back.

"Won't you need these rooms when your baby comes?" Jessica said as she turned from the window again.

"No, I live in the gatehouse." Alice furrowed her brow as she pointed at the house set amongst the large trees. How could this girl think the Master would allow her to use the nursery.

"Won't he want his child close to him?" Jessica whispered, hoping she wasn't being impertinent.

"Oh!" Alice slammed her hand to her mouth realising what Jessica was getting at. "Goodness no!" she said suppressing a giggle. "Master Louis isn't the father of my child." Seeing the confusion on Jessica's face she continued. "Aiden is its father. Master lets us live together in the gatehouse. We'll be married after the baby is born. We've both been pardoned. Master has got you to take over most of my duties when the child arrives." Alice fluffed the pillow and said, "Master Louis is a considerate man."

"I'm sorry." Jessica murmured. She felt suddenly heavy, her body sapped of energy.

"You need to sleep." Alice took Jessica's hand and squeezed it, saying, "I'll check you at meal times but if you're asleep, I'll let you be." She added, "The work's not easy, so get as much rest as you can." Alice looked back and smiled as she closed the door.

Sorry for the slow updates.

Guess what!!!

I went and saw Shania Twain in concert. Ab...sol...ute...ly A...maze...bombs...♥♥♥

I feel like a woman...!!!!

Anyone else a Shania fan??

Copyright © 2018 Donna Fieldhouse. All rights reserved.