11. The slap

🎬

"Action!"

Tangie thought that she felt out of place back at the company. The flashing lights, people pressed up against each other, everyone knowing exactly what to do and where to go except for her... turns out she was wrong. The GLITZ-X building is nothing compared to this.

This is where she feels out of place, like actually out of place.

Hecate's filming site for her new upcoming film, or drama, or whatever, is in the middle of the large bustling city they live in. She did manage to drive her without too much trouble, despite still having no idea how to properly do it. They had to drive for a whole twenty minutes before eventually arriving at a pair of large black gates, where Hecate only had to show her face to the guards for them to nervously let her inside and whisper to each other. Hecate must be really famous.

Now she's here, watching Hecate act on a large fake living-room set while hundreds of staff stand around and watch. All of their things are back in Hecate's dressing room, which is an actual room whenever they don't have to film in remote locations. (Or so she has been told). Tangie, however, is reduced to sitting on a rickety white plastic chair while holding on to Hecate's essentials, watching her and another human actress flirt with each other in front of the large, moving camera.

"It's so good that you're here, Miss Shepherd. I don't know how I lasted so long without you"

Oh, and then there's this guy, too. Hecate's nervous and young makeup-artist. He seems incredibly nervous and terrible at his job, and his face lit up bright when he first saw Tangie. Hecate must've been hard on him during these past few weeks she's been without a manager. Tangie glances at the boy sitting next to him. He certainly doesn't look like someone who could handle a demon for that long.

"I'm Daniel" he continues, and Tangie nods. He already knows her name, so she doesn't bother introducing herself back.

"Where did you go to school? You look pretty young, I graduated-"

"It's a pretty small university. You wouldn't know it"

Tangie doesn't want to talk too much with anyone she works with. She's lucky enough that Hecate and Hela seem uninterested in her life. People who ask her questions will receive lies as answers. And as much as Tangie is set on succeeding with this mission, she also hates lying. The more questions they ask, the more she'll have to lie. This far she has managed to survive by keeping her answers short.

"Oh, that's cool"

Daniel sits quietly for a while. Tangie observes Hecate. The demon is skilfully kissing the other actress, as the scene they are filming is reaching a peak. Her hand is tangled in the shorter actresses hair, and her mouth is formed into a smirk in their kiss. She is enchanting, even from afar. The entire room is entranced by her. And the other actress is just... there. Not at all as enchanting as Hecate is. Hecate sparkles like the moon on a dark night, overpowering everything and everyone around her.

Daniel turns around to face her, suddenly, something new on his mind.

"I don't know if you know this already, but you should be careful around Eve, she's not exactly-"

"Ok CUT!" The directors yell stops their conversation right then and there. It echoes in the hall and has the staff breathing out, as they were too scared to make a single noise beforehand. Tangie gestures at Hecate, who seems to be talking with the other actress. She turns to look at Daniel. "Go fix her makeup, it's smudged under her left eye"

Daniel looks at her. He bites his lip nervously, before looking back at Hecate. "Do I have to?"

Tangie looks at him with a deadpan expression. Daniel holds that stare for a while. Then, his shoulders slump and he sighs, giving up. He has no choice in this matter. This is his job. It's with slow and steady steps that he walks towards the demon, holding on to a small makeup bag as Tangie watches him go with her arms folded in front of her chest. She'll make sure that Hecate doesn't pull any demon tricks on him. She'll make sure of it, so he can stop worrying and just go do his job like he's supposed to.