35. Feathery touch

🎬

"Let's make up a list of potential candidates."

Rain patters down on the tall windows of their penthouse apartment. It's a Sunday evening, and the rain has gotten colder. Hela is certain that it will snow soon. But for now, it is dark outside, the leaves have fallen off the trees and the ground is always wet with rainwater. Hecate is leaning against the backrest of the couch with her eyes closed, completely exhausted after only two and a half days spent in the rather noisy and hectic underworld.

"That's a dumb idea. I mean, who would even be first on that list?" The long-haired demon answers Hela monotonously, each one of her words sounding heavy and tired. Rather than only being tired from a busy weekend, she's tired from the heavy responsibility that now weighs on their shoulders. After two years of playing around, going back to work finding and killing angel assassins, is more than too much.

And having to leave their mission and return to the underworld? Just the thought of it is giving her a headache. She thought that she wasn't attached, but that must've been some sort of miscalculation on her part. Two days later she can now confidently, and perhaps sadly admit, that leaving this life is going to hurt her more than it should. Hela, on the other hand, is still partially in denial. Or at least, so it seems. She has been trying to come up with new, better ways they could find the powerless angel assassin faster.

This far, all of her methods have been rejected by a merciless Hecate. Hela huffs at Hecate's words. "I don't know-"

"Tangie." Hecate suddenly warns, her eyes snapping open. They both turn to the elevator, and low and behold, the doors open. Tangie walks inside with an unbothered expression on her face. They deactivate their powers and tone down the redness in their irises, while Tangie takes off her shoes behind the glass door entrance. Once Hecate has laid her eyes on the angel, she can't take them off. A small smile sneaks up on her face.

"Ready for work?"

Tangie's tired, unbothered voice echoes across the apartment when she finally opens the glass doors. She must've sent them a message about her coming over, but neither of them have looked at their phones since they came back from the demon realm. Hela acts completely differently to before. She leans back confidently, and tilts her head. "Are our schedules busy?"

Tangie shrugs, glancing down at her phone. Hecate can't help but admire the way she looks while she speaks. "Eve needs to finish up her show, and Mary-" Tangie glances back down at her phone. Whatever she is saying blurs into the background. Her face, her voice, her eyes, her every movement. The way she looks sprawled out on a couch, on a bed. The way she walks, the way she threatens others for her. "You have a contract to sign and a script to read." Tangie continues, but Hecate realises halfway through, that she hasn't been listening at all.

"Huh? What did you say?"

Tangie raises an eyebrow. Hecate shrugs, being as honest as she can be. "Sorry, I was staring." She stands up from her seated position on the couch, and walks toward her manager. Tangie doesn't flinch away, not even for a second. She stands still, a confident expression on her face barely hiding the slightly teasing tone in her voice. "Mhm. I saw."

Hecate smiles a wolffish smile in return. Just as she is about to let herself be drawn in by the human again, kiss her, take her, whatever-  Hela is by her side, nonchalantly leaning in to whisper in her ear, a smile on her face hiding the seriousness of her words.