44. Beginning from ashes

🎬

"You must be the parasites who took my powers away."

Standing in the darkened shadows of their apartment living room, is an angel.

She has this long brown hair that flows down in a gentle way. There is a golden glow around her, making her shine like a lantern in the dead of night. Her white clothes look stark against her bruised skin. The only other thing shining in the room, apart from her, is her golden sword. She has it in her right hand, resting upright on the couch right next to her. It is in their line of vision on purpose, it is standing upright on purpose, and it is resting in her stronger hand, on purpose.

"Akuji."

Narfi whispers out, panicked, while staring at the angel sitting in their small living room. There is not much one can say about the place. There is only one window, and it's covered with heavy, ugly curtains. The floor is unwashed and old, made from some kind of yellowing wood that emits a foul smell. The wallpapers are curling in on themselves, clearly hiding some kind of mood behind them. The only light is a yellow one, up in the ceiling, and it lets out this buzzing sound that never seems to stop.

It's an apartment of someone soulless, of someone who rarely spends time in it in the first place. There is no furniture apart from an old couch and the kitchen cupboards. The couch is covered with a dust-preventing fabric. There are coffee stains on the floor, making the yellow floorboards even uglier. Realistically, the brownish stains could equally as well be blood. And in the middle of it all, is Tangie.

The same Tangie who didn't miss the two suspicious contacts in Hecate's and Hela's contact lists. The same Tangie who knew from the beginning that everything that goes around comes around. The same Tangie who knew the moment she was shot with the poison these two demons injected her with, that she'd kill them for it. Tangie, who only needed the right motivation to do it. That Tangie is sitting in their living room. And that Tangie is turning her head around to face them, a smile on her face that doesn't reach her eyes, a chilling calm to her voice.

"It was you two, wasn't it?"

She gets up from the couch before they can even think of drawing their weapons. Like wind moving through the air, she is unnoticeable and faster than one would think. One second she is still by the couch, the next she is right next to the low male demon.

"Ah!"

Her sword pushes through his stomach like a knife through butter, easy and swift. The strength she has in the way she holds her sword makes it easy for her to push it through whatever obstacle might be in her way, whether that'd be a demon's body or something else. It's the most satisfying part of her job, and this will be the second last time she does it. The second last time she gets to stare into the soulless eyes of a demon and pull the sword out of them, and watch as the smirk finally fades from their face.

"We were only following orders."

Next to the male demon, Akuji is standing as calm as ever. Since Narfi is the one who got hit and not her, she still has that demonic smirk on her face. Tangie lets go of Narfi and he falls to the floor, and she looks at him squirm on the floor for a moment before she snaps her head up to look at the higher ranking, female demon. Akuji's nonchalant tone is cold hearted, to say the least. But Tangie is pretty sure it's all a performance. Demons always put on a performance. They live for it.