37. An angel is after them

🎬

"Hael, I need to tell you something"

Mazanin has spent every single waking hour since coming back from the demon realm in utter disarray.

He doesn't know what to do. He is torn between two decisions. He knows what he wants, and he knows that there are a lot of people who stand against that. But he has spent the entire week contemplating whether or not he should do the obvious, logical thing, and stand against those who stand against him and what he wants to do. Now, on this cold Saturday evening, he is finally at his breaking point.

Being a demon means not following those who tell him what to do. It means walking his own path. And finally, after years and years of walking his own path within someone else's orders, he is finally going to break free completely.

"Hela and Hecate know that an angel is after them."

Hael, who is sitting in the car next to him, snaps her head towards him. Mazanin breathes in deeply.

"And Hael? I don't think it will take long before they figure out who it is."

The camera shutters a few times, the flash blinding in the room around her. Tangie squints, and then settles further back in her seat. It's a regular Saturday evening, and she's calmly observing Hela's photoshoot together with two other actresses from the GLITZ-X company.

The director's instructions and Hela's alluring poses make Tangie lean her head back and drift in and out of her mind. She appreciates Hela and the way the demon's body moves, the way she stares into the camera. She's changed her outfit at least fifteen times now. The photoshoot has stretched on for hours, and Tangie has sat here with nothing but the beautiful demon in front of her to keep her mind company. Still, she has loved every minute of it, no matter how tired she is.

Hela is about to finish up, and Tangie tries to sit up straight. She is drawn to the idea of just leaning back and falling asleep, safe in the belief that Hela will wake her up if necessary and not be angry with her. But she keeps her eyes open anyway, zoning out while staring at Hela, waiting to go back to their apartment to say a goodnight to both her and Hecate before she can head to her own apartment for the rest of the weekend.

"Tangie Shepherd, right?"

Tangie snaps her head around, startled by the sudden approach of two unfamiliar women. Her eyes widen and she fixes her posture. One of them is taller, with short blonde hair, and the other has longer brown hair with grey, professional attire, completely different from the more causal-wear white shirt and jeans that the blonde one wears. Tangie can tell that they are 100% human from the way the walk, speak and approach her, so Tangie relaxes

She stands up from her chair and nods hesitantly, a small, awkward smile on her face. "Uh, yes." The two women smile, and the blonde one reaches out her hand for Tangie to take, which she slowly accepts. "I'm Daniela Smythe, Cassandra's manager? It's nice to meet you." Tangie nods at her, as the blonde one turns to gesture at her friend. "This is Cecilia, Steven Simmons' manager."

Although Tangie has never heard of either of these artists or managers, she gives them a look of acknowledgement, half-amazed expression and smiles back. "Nice to meet you both."