Chapter 42: The Scientist

Disclaimer: I own Elizabeth, all the rest of the characters unless otherwise noted do not belong to me.

~Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy

Oh, it's such a shame for us to part

Nobody said it was easy

No one ever said it would be so hard

I'm going back to the start~

(Coldplay)

Four wise men once said 'I get by with a little help from my friends' but on the Upper East Side there's the added challenge of figuring out who those friends really are.

Elizabeth showed up at the coffee shop and walked in. She kept thinking about her kiss with Nate the night before.

"Hey Boss" Matt said handing her a cup.

"Thank you Matt" she said.

"This came for you" he said and handed her a big envelope. She opened it and pulled out the paper that showed Carter had changed the percentages of the ownership. It now said 95/5 instead of the 75/25 it used to be.

"I gotta go meet my family for brunch but first I need to see Chuck" she said putting the papers back in the envelope and leaving. She texted her dad then hailed a cab.

Dad: Be here as soon as you can.

*Humphrey Family*

Rufus, Dan and Jenny walked down the street.

"Have a great day" Rufus said.

"Okay dad seriously this whole happy thing?" Jenny asked. "It's a little annoying"

"Seconded" Dan replied. "Humming is fine for home but 'Zip-a-dee-doo-dah' on the F? I'm pretty sure whatever that lady said meant 'stop' in her own language"

"Now, what's not to be happy about? We're all together, Serena's boyfriend let me in on an investment that could pay for all three of your educations"

"Where is Lizzie?" Jenny whispered to Dan.

"She is meeting us there" Dan replied.

"And I'm about to propose to Lily" their dad said.

"Wait, what? At brunch?" Jenny said "That's amazing!"

"Oh, not quite yet. I still have to ask permission"

"From who? Cece?" Dan asked.

"No, Lily's not speaking to her, and I'm fine with that." Rufus said "The permission I seek is Eric's."

"Well he's gonna say yes" Jenny replied.

"Well, still. Serena's gonna be at Brown next year and Eric's gonna be there, he'll be the man of the house. So after we eat we'll go for a walk I'll show him the ring"

"Well, it looks like we're not gonna have to wait till next year for Serena to ditch. She's skipping Brunch."

"I'd hoped we'd be together"

"You know what, let me see what I can do. I mean she's generally not a morning person but show up with a bone dry cappuccino and she'll pretty much follow you anywhere. So I'll meet you at the restaurant"

"Yeah, and get your sister too, she texted that she had to talk to Chuck about something business related" their dad said.

"Oh right she mentioned that Chuck was trying to buy out Carter's half of the coffee shop" Jenny replied "Maybe he succeeded?"