Chapter 114: I Heard it Through the Grapevine

Disclaimer: I own Elizabeth, all the rest of the characters unless otherwise noted do not belong to me

~Heard it through the grapevine~

(Marvin Gaye)

Manhattan has weathered her share of storms heat waves, hurricanes, even an earthquake. But these days, it looks like a new force of nature is taking shape on the Upper East Side.

Elizabeth walked into the coffee shop with Ella on her hip. She finally got the papers in for Drew. Matt stood behind the counter.

"Hey Boss" he said.

"Can I get 2 coffees'" she said "and will you pass these on to Drew"

"Of course," he said "So he told me you asked him to be part owner of all your businesses."

"I did, but of course you are still our manager for here. You are amazing and we love you" she said, and she handed the folder with the papers in it. "Oh, speaking of business. How was the band you saw last night? Drew mentioned he couldn't go so he sent you in his place"

"A bit pitchy" he replied "I mean I got their demo if you want to listen, but I don't think they're the best for Edge Records"

"I support your feelings" she said

"Here" he replied handing it to her.

"I still trust your feelings, but I'll listen since you want me too" she replied taking it.

"Here is a cookie for Miss Ella" he said, and Ella grabbed it. "And here is your coffee's"

"You're the best Matt, that's why you're my favorite employee" she said kissing his cheek.

*Chuck and Nate*

"I heard you on the phone earlier this morning" Nate said. "Didn't sound like Liz.

"Deeper voice, darker mind...well maybe. It might be a tie some days. My Uncle Jack" Chuck said, "His people on the ground in Dubai are helping me to find out who the mystery man with Bart in Amira's photo is"
"Did he come up with anything?"

"Not yet. We got a partial plate off the car, tracked down the restaurant it was parked outside of. So that's a good place to start asking questions."

"Well, that's good news. I mean. Maybe someone in the area will recognize him. You know?"

"Yeah, let's hope so"

"Yeah"

"How are you and the teenager" Chuck asked as Dan walked in. "Or are you trading her in? Did you start seeing Dan because it didn't work with Cinderella? I may be negotiating with Terrorists, but you're harboring a fugitive. I don't care if he is Ella's uncle. Or Elizabeth's brother"

"Were family now" Dan replied "Trust me I don't like it either"

Nate and Chuck both looked at Dan.

"Because of Ella?" Nate replied.

"Because Chuck married my sister in an outskirt church in London"

"Wow congrats, why didn't you say anything?"

"Like most things in Elizabeth and I's relationship we like to keep things to ourselves until they are out. But it's your fault for not noticing I've been wearing a wedding band for weeks now, as is she."

"I don't pay attention to your fingers"

"Come on Monkey" Chuck said then left.

"I'm sorry about that, man. He's you know..."