Chapter 49: Don't Speak

Disclaimer: I own Elizabeth, all the rest of the characters unless otherwise noted do not belong to me.

~You and me, we used to be together

Every day together, always

I really feel that I'm losin' my best friend

I can't believe this could be the end

It looks as though you're lettin' go

And if it's real, well, I don't want to know~

(No Doubt)

Some say love is a river. Some say love's a silly song. Some say love is all around us. It lifts us up where we belong. Some say love is hearing laughter in the rain. But on the Upper East Side, we all know love is pain.

Elizabeth stood in the mirror fixing her sweater. Nate wrapped his arms around her and kissed her cheek.

"It's just breakfast with our friends, you don't have to look like 2 million bucks"

"One million just won't cut it" she replied turning in his arms and putting her arms around his neck. "Can't a girl just look nice without it actually meaning something?"

"Your junior year self would make fun of you right now" he said kissing her. "Now let's go"

*Serena and Carter*

Serena and Carter sat at the table eating breakfast.

"Toasted blueberry? You spoil me." Serena said.

"Dorota offered to make eggs but I thought it was the duty of the devoted lover to provide" Carter replied.

"I missed you"

"Yeah, you showed me just how much when I got in last night"

"So, how was your trip? Did you get your money back from your poker buddy?"

"No, and I would have let it slide but with my parents cutting me off and me only owning 5% of the businesses..."

"I'm sure Lizzie would sign back some of it to you" Serena replied.

"I don't want to ask her. Plus she's doing amazing at it so..."

"Yeah"

"So I'm fine with her having majority percentages, it just means I'm poor"

"Trust me, I get it, working for KC is nowhere near as lucrative as being Lily Bass' daughter. For now Toaster Pastries are all I can afford."

"So go. Talk to her...for me"

"Fine" Serena said "But then you have to do something for me. Take my place at dim sum with my friends."

"Dumplings with Blair and Chuck?"
"And Nate along with Lizzie. You like Lizzie"

"Of course I like Beth" he said "But I don't think me eating with her along with Nate and Chuck would be such a great idea, giving what I did to them all last spring."

"You sent in the tip to gossip girl about Lizzie and Chuck?" Serena asked. "Does Lizzie know you sent it?"

"I'm sure she does but that was not my proudest moment" he replied "Anyways I do have other people who owe me money I need to talk to"