One

<Three Years Later>

"There's two on our left and one on our right!" Petra yells aloud. It was near dusk and we were almost at Wall Maria. We figured if we left at this hour no Titans would be at our heels.

It seems were were wrong. We rush through the plains on our horses. Not only the hasty clopping of our horses filled our ears but also the loud stomping of Titans behind us.

"We got to take them out before we reach the wall!" Erwin orders from up front. "Squad Levi you take the ones on the left! Hanji's squad the right!"

I watch everyone steer their horses to their direction before flying up in the sky with their ODM gear. Only Erwin's squad remains in the center as we run forth towards the walls. I was part of his squad, I was the one they relied upon after Erwin when it came to strategy.

Both of us barely get to fight the Titans when we're out on expeditions but when the time came, Erwin was willing to do it. For me, that time was rare itself. No matter how I proclaim this matter to my Commander he would refuse.

"Emma, how many more miles till we reach Wall Maria?" I hear Erwin question. I sped up to him, matching the pace of his horse. Quickly, I do the calculation.

"We're going about fifty miles right now so I would say in estimation ten miles we would reach Wall Maria," I reply. He mutely nods and observes the land around us.

I do the same and notice how quickly Levi's squad takes down the two titans. The way his squad members fly through the air was so graceful. Even he was, despite how much I refuse to admit it.

"It seems I picked the squad leaders well," Erwin sighs after the last Titan falls to the ground.

My eyes linger on Levi's squad as I listen to their loud cheers. All except Levi gave each other high fives. He meets my gaze and smirks.

He knew I wasn't always allowed to fight alongside my squad. He knew I was only here for my brains and not my strength. He reminds me of that everyday. I click my tongue at his cocky ass before turning away.

"Damn it."

I catch Erwin's curious gaze. His posture easing a bit now since we're in the clear.

"Is there something wrong, Emma?" I shake my head and kept my eyes forward.

"No, sir," I reply bluntly.

He watches me a moment longer before speeding up his horse. I don't bother and allow most of my squad mates get in front of me. I was too busy in my thoughts to even realize even both Hanji's and Levi's squad passes me up.

\/\/\/\/\/

As perusal we were welcomed back by a swarm of people in the Shiganshina District. The center of the road was empty for our horses but with many civilians on the sides with desperate looks on their faces. We left with thirty in our midst.

We came back ten less.

I knew who we lost and the family they belong to. I knew most were here in the crowds. A deafening scream was made.

It was sound of a mother's broken heart, her cries shrieking through the air. I bite my lip to keep from looking. I knew better than to get involved.

"Where is she?!" I hear her wail. "Where's my daughter?!"

I knew who she was talking about. Sylvia Gold, a member of Levi's Squad. She was the only female who died during the mission.

"You tell me where she is, you monster!"