♛Sixty Nine

His plan seemed effortless. Flawless even. But as I stand before Erwin who had finished giving me information there was still one thing I still had yet to question.

"How are you sure this will be successful?" I question with furrowed brows. "Now that Emma is in their clutches who knows what they're next move is. I doubt they'll stay in sync with their previous one."

It was the next morning when Hanji had bursted back into my office and demanded my presence. Despite that I was still up I had a tremendous headache, it was my fault however, since I decided to finish that whole bottle of whiskey. She had stated Erwin needed to see me so here I was, standing before the Commander who looked as if he never got a wink of sleep these past few days.

He frowned slightly in thought before recasting his gaze to the map laid upon his desk. "I'm not," he replies tartly. "It's just a hunch."

I blink once—twice. It was just a hunch. I release a loud scoff, I couldn't believe it. This was utterly ridiculous.

"So you've set up a plan to ambush either one of those bastards in the areas you've circled on the map because you think they'll drop off Nat's body in either location?" I release in a hard tone.

Erwin doesn't respond immediately as if he was hearing what I repeated for the first time. I watch him nod as he places his chin between his thumb and index finger. "Yes."

"You don't even know when this will take place!" I fume. "You think Nile and his MPs will agree to this clown of a plan? I bet you just thought of this while taking a shit on the toilet—"

"Levi!"

I stop myself short when I hear my name being shouted behind me. That only irked me even more. Shooting my glare over my shoulder I see Hanji giving me a warning glare with her arms crossed. She didn't have to speak, I already knew what she was telling me.

Shut the fuck up.

I knew I was invited here and could be asked to leave the office any time soon. Even though I was longer part of the investigation Hanji had somehow persuaded Erwin to let me in on the plan so I wouldn't be left in the dark. A part of me was grateful for that knowing there was a way to get back Emma.

And yet there's another part of me that hated every detail of this. It seemed too simple—too easy to be used in a situation like this. It gave it too much possibility that anything could go wrong.

But regardless of what I thought or how I felt I doubt Erwin cared about those things at the moment. Considering how rocky our relationship became I wasn't really looking forward to being yelled at by the Commander.

"I understand your worry." I turn back to Erwin taken aback slightly. His eyes were still glued to the map. He frowned ponderously. "I'm not even sure they'll show up in those locations but it's our best lead." He points to location northeast of Emma's apartment. "They've been dropping the victim's bodies in locations that were near Emma's apartment. It could only mean their little hideout is somewhere in that area. The walking distance to each location is quite short so planting bodies in those alleyways wouldn't be a problem."

I nod along and plant my gaze to the map as well. Erwin did have a point. If they're hideout was somewhere close to these locations then it would be easy to do their tasks.

But does he know when they'll plant the next victim? Hell, would it even be Nat or would it be Emma? Could it be both?

I swallow thickly, if I were to see Emma's body laying face-first on the dirty ground I don't think I could—