Forty One

Levi's question lingers in the air. No one possessed the courage nor the energy to answer him. All, except Hanji of course.

Even though I couldn't see her face since her back was turned, I could feel slight tension looming over her. I still didn't understand why both Levi and Hanji possess an awkward tension between them.

"Yes," she replies curtly. "As you can see, we were reconnecting. Does that make your angry ass happy now?"

I stare at her with my jaw dropped. It was quite rare for her to speak in such a vulgar way. But it wasn't that that shocked me. It was who she said it to. Not once had I heard her speak to Levi in such a way.

"Hanji!" I hiss with narrowed eyes. She glances over her shoulder. She stares innocently at me.

"What?"

I give her a look as to say, What the hell?, but it didn't seem to sink through. She only shrugs simply before looking back at Levi. He was glaring at her with such anger I thought it could kill her.

"Whatever, Shitty Glasses," Levi spits just as venomously. "I need to talk to Emma."

Hanji makes a mocking gesture with her hand at me as if to say, go on. My face was twisted in confusion as I bite my bottom lip. I knew she was pushing his buttons, it wouldn't be a surprise if he blew up right here. But instead he takes one step in my office with his face stoic as ever.

"Alone." He said that word wth such emphasis, it caused Nifa to nudge Hanji in the arm.

"Let's just go." I hear her murmur. "Whatever you're doing, is not worth it."

For a moment, I thought Hanji was about to refuse. I thought she was going to keep going till Levi's temper was unleashed. But, she only takes in a deep breath with a look of defeat. She suddenly whirls to me.

"After work," she orders. I couldn't say a word for Hanji had stomped out of the office and past Levi. Nifa was on her tail, she bid me a sweet goodbye before running down the hall.

All that was left was Edward, and it didn't seem like he was leaving any time soon. Levi possibly got the gist and narrowed his eyes into a cold glare.

"Cadet," he warns lowly. "There's dirt downstairs that isn't going to sweep itself."

Edward wavers for a second but only tighten his hold around me. Levi's eyes suddenly dart down to my waist. His lips forming a sort of scowl.

"Are you going to let go of your lieutenant?"

Immediately I look up at Edward. He too was also glaring back at Levi. It was a surprise to see him do such a thing, I thought he looked up to the Captain.
But that wasn't as important as the radiating anger I felt from Levi.

"Edward," I whisper calmly. "You should go." He looks down at me with eyes wider than ever. He quirks up a brow and doesn't speak for a moment.

"But I want to stay," he whines softly. It was low enough for only me to hear.

"Captain's orders," I answered solemnly. "What he says goes, Edward. Don't push him." Edward stares at me for a moment, I wait earnestly for his answer.

"Fine," he sighs loudly. "I'll go." I nod with a small smile. At least he didn't lose his skill to listen to orders.

I attempt to pry myself out of his hold but it only made him tighten it further. Confused as I was, I didn't make any complaint just yet. He brings me close, my body abruptly colliding with his.