Twenty Eight

To my displeasure I was not informed of the exercise that is to be taken place today. In fact, it was only Levi that was told, and the one who told him was Hanji. I was upset when he told me when he arrived by my office the next morning so we can arrive together on time.

I questioned him why Hanji didn't tell me but his only answer was, 'If you're that upset, stop whining and ask her yourself'.

It was then I realized Levi was back to his cranky self. I let it slide for it was too early to make a fuss over something so little. I wasn't quite fond of the idea of speaking to Hanji.

She was still upset with me and I wish to distance myself from her till she gives up. Once she does she'll talk to me first. But I won't be the one to apologize on the spot. My damn pride and shame were holding me back.

Despite the lack of sleep the night before I was wide awake. Not because of the damn work I had to do but because my mind was working like a damn machine. I thought about Levi more than I wished to admit and no matter what I did, he stuck in my head like glue.

Each thought became questionable than the last causing me to wonder what the hell is wrong with me. Sure, his words were deep and inspiring but so were Commander Erwin's every time before an expedition.

Yet, he never lingered on my mind like Levi. No one did. I glance to my left seeing how serious and focused Levi was.

Even though we were walking down the hall he made great show of how dedicated he was to reach his destination. A sudden urge to touch him, maybe graze my arm against his blurred my mind. The mere thought startled me, since when did I have the desire to touch Levi?

In the five years I've known him that thought never crossed my mind. My heart thudded against my chest when I began to realize I was staring longer than usual. I look away before he'd noticed and walked through the double wooden doors.

We entered the mess hall and the memory of Levi and I's moment here last night flourished like a blossoming flower. I glance at the table we sat at and stopped walking momentarily. I suddenly started to remember how close his face was to mine.

The way his deep voice caused my skin to prickle. And the way--

"Good morning, you two!"

The sudden boisterous voice startles me out of my thoughts. When I came to I noticed Hanji entering the mess hall with a cheerful grin upon her lips. Although the she looked more at Levi than at me.

My gaze suddenly lands on him and I notice his eyes were firmly on me. They were were narrowed and hard like stone. His arms were crossed with his lips pressed together.

I couldn't know what he was thinking but it was like he was assessing each move I made. It finally came to my knowledge that Levi had watched me stare aimlessly at the table we sat and that didn't sit well in my stomach.

I fiercely turn away with a heavy blush coating my face. Maybe I was in dire need of sleep.

"You ready for your first bonding exercise?" I hear Hanji inquire excitedly. Levi scoffs in response and sets his gaze on her.

"Better be worth getting ready before the damn sun rises."

Hanji chuckles at his comment with a vigorous nod. She was too cheery early in the morning.

"Trust me, this will be fun. Follow me." Sending use a mischievous wink, she prances down the hall and through another door.

We followed her inside and see her standing across a wooden island. I glance about the room realizing we stood in the kitchen. The kitchen was spacious, big enough for the cooking staff to move swiftly around.