Two

The mess hall was rowdier than ever. Everyone was laughing and shouting despite sitting across each other. They were drunk on wine, their cups clanking each time they cheer.

I try to ignore them, I made no contribution to their little celebration. I simply sat at the edge of my table eating what's left of my broth and bread. No one paid attention to me, not like they did in the first place. I release a heavy sigh, planning to head to my room right after I finish.

"What's your depressed ass doing in the corner?" Someone ruffles my brown hair just before they sit down.

I glance to my left to see an all too smiley, Nifa. I notice the tinted pink coating her cheeks and realized she had too much too drink.

"I'm not depressed," I answer in monotone as I take swig of wine. "I'm just not sociable."

"Ah, that's BS." Hanji joins the table and laughs louder than anyone near us. She takes the seat across Nifa and I before slamming down her bottle.

Her glasses where a bit crooked while her hair was a mess. Her smile fades as its replaced with a serious frown.

"You are depressed," she points out with her finger lazily pointing at me. "Explain how you managed to get an empty table all to yourself."

I look down the table to see no one occupying any part of the benches. It was just us three. I sigh with a frown gaining small chuckles from the two.

"C'mon, Emma," Hanji encourages before pushing a wine bottle to my face.

"Let loose for once!" Nifa joins in, cheering me on to get drunk. I stare at the half-empty bottle, my urge to drink taking over.

I haven't got drunk in months, I only watched everyone around me have fun. I haven't joined in for a while. Seeing the small glint in my eyes Hanji and Nifa grin, feeling triumphant to get me out of my funk. But not matter how much I wish to, I refuse the bottle.

"No, thanks. I'm not in the mood."

"What? Why?" Nifa whines with a pout. Hanji frowns and pulls the bottle away.

"You're so dull," she frowns. I release an airy chuckle and shake my head.

"Don't you guys remember the last time you two got me drunk?" I question with amusement in my eyes. They pretend to think hard, Nifa gasping at the memory.

"It was the time you threw up on both the Commander's and Captain Levi's boots!" Hanji bursts into laughter and throws her head back.

"Oh my God, I remember!" She exclaims. "Didn't Levi give you stable duty for a month?"

I grimace at the part of the memory. Of course, Erwin was fine with it. In his words, You're only young once. Levi, however, saw it differently.

"God, that was brutal," I admit through a sigh. "And in the damn summer heat too."

Nifa snickers, "You did ruin Mister Clean Freak's boots after all."

"And that, is something I'll never regret." Hanji takes another swig from her bottle before burping like a man.

"Oh, speaking of that shortie," she looks to her side to make sure Levi was still with Erwin. "I never understood your hatred towards each other."

Nifa releases a gasp suddenly intrigued on the topic.

"Yeah, why the hell did you attack him at the stables earlier?"

I roll my eyes, are they that dense? Everyone knew how angry I get when no one speaks up for the fallen. It's disrespectful. It's like their sacrifice didn't contribute to anything.