Sixty Four

I didn't have the will to answer. Seeing Booker's hideous grin, feeling Arron's dark gaze placed some sort of shackle upon me. Like I couldn't wield that fury anger building inside me.

Instead, only wariness took over my senses causing the hair upon my skin to stand up like a cat's. I swallow thickly as I clench my hands into fists. They don't scare me. They shouldn't. Raising my chin I level my glare upon Booker.

"Where's Darius and Seth?" I demand lowly.

"Taking a break," Arron answers. He pushes himself off the wall to stand beside Booker. "Captain Levi assigned us to guard you."

I eye them both, keeping myself alerted. I wonder if he knew how much of a lie that was. I knew Darius and Seth always left their posts at exactly six o'clock each day.

Levi was the one who took over making sure he was glued to my hip the rest of the night. He would never assign Booker and Arron to me. Which only meant one thing, this was a setup. It had to be, why else were they here peering at me like I'm some sort of prey?

"Well? Aren't you going for a walk?" Booker's question brought me back to reality. I blink at once at the duo as I mentally chant to not lose my cool.

With a stiff nod I stride pass them. "Just stay at your post, idiots."

"No can do, Emma," Arron purrs as they skip alongside me. "Levi specifically told us to protect you no matter what."

Both flanked my left and right. If I tried to make a run for it either one could get a hold of my arm. That would leave me helpless and flinging about like a fish on a hook.

Calm down, I assure myself. They're just going to follow me to my apartment and back. And even if this was a setup, what can they do from here to my apartment?

Nothing. That little train of thought had brought back my confidence. I began to ignore their presence and effortless jabs to irk me.

I instead focus on what I wanted, Levi's cloak. Soon we were out of HQ and walking through the streets of Trost. Nothing stirred in the night.

The flickering streetlights barely guided my way to my apartment building. It felt odd walking through Trost and not hearing a peep from anyone. By now there would be bars open, clubs filled with drunks.

Even the streets would present a couple drunkards here and there. But there was nothing. Like this place became some sort of ghost town.

A lone shiver crawls down my back. It was like with every step I took I was being watched. The feeling itself had me glance over my shoulder from time-to-time.

Booker and Arron weren't bodyguard material. They chitchat so goddamn loudly, they wouldn't realize if a mugger came after us.

I roll my eyes with a scoff, "You guys are a bunch of losers."

Their chattering stops, both their gazes plant upon me. I look away from both and focus my own stare before me. We're almost there.

"Oh? What makes you think that?" Arron inquires.

"If you're my so-called bodyguards don't you think you should act like it?" I give him a side-glare throwing all my anger into it. He seemed surprised and presses his lips together. I look away.

"Instead you're over here talking so loudly like you want someone to hear us. Act like you deserve your ranks, please."

"Hey, don't give us that high-and-mighty shit," Booker sneers. "We're doing our damn job. Be grateful."