Forty Eight

"Is it just me or you look like a baby deer who just got pushed out of their mother's womb?"

I stop walking. Despite how heavy the crate I carried was, I couldn't help but turn around. Hanji stares back at me with an innocent expression with true curiosity in her eyes.

Nifa was trotting behind her, stopping to inspect us both. I narrow my eyes at my unusual friend as I attention to understand her absurd question.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I ask.

"You!" Hanji exclaims. "Why are your legs shaking?"

Gesturing a finger at my legs, I follow her direction and stare down at myself. But don't see what she claims. If anything they looked normal.

I release a deflated sigh, "Is this another joke you're trying to pull?" I turn back around and head towards the mess hall.

"It's not a joke! I'm actually serious! Back me up on this Nifa!"

I listen to both of their hasty footsteps as they try to catch up with me. Pushing the doors open I drop the crate full of potatoes onto a table. I resist an urge to groan when I hear Nifa agree.

"Yeah! Ever since we've been unloading the wagon you've been acting weird."

I turn around swiftly while crossing my arms. I wasn't sure what they were getting at but right now, I was trying my best to ignore this stupid ache between my legs. It was truly annoying.

"Weird how? You mean that I did actual work unlike you two dummies?"

Both Hanji and Nifa cringe and laugh sheepishly. It was only me and few other officers unloading the damn wagon while they blabbered about Hanji's invention coming together. I wonder if it ever occurred to them that they could talk and work at the same time.

"You guys seemed like you got it," Nifa mutters. "We didn't want to ruin the system—"

"We're getting off subject!" Hanji suddenly shouts. She shoots her gaze to me and I was surprise to see fire in her eyes. "You've been waddling like a duck the entire morning. Why?"

She was talking to me like an interrogator. I could see Nifa nodding along with her eyes so let glued to me. I suddenly had the urge to scratch my cheek.

"Like a duck?" I ask dumbly.

"Yeah! You've been walking like this!" It didn't Nifa a second to reenact my walking. She forcefully shook her legs and stumbled about the mess hall, trying to convey her actions.

I, for one, wasn't happy by her acting. It was ridiculous. There's no way in hell I looked incredibly stupid. However, glancing at Hanji I knew she thought different.

"Exactly like that!" Hanji confirms. "What did you do to your legs last night?"

"Why does it have to be last night?" I fume.

"Because you were fine yesterday during dinner." Nifa points out. She skips towards us and stands beside me. She cocks her head and blinks curiously. "Did you do a leg workout?"

"No."

"Did you go for a run?"

"No."

"Then what the hell did you do?"

My mouth opens for the intent to fire back but, I held back my voice. Only I knew why my legs ached and it was because of that damn Captain. If he wasn't so damn rough and was gentle like he was at first then I wouldn't feel like shit.