Sixty One

"Wait—what do you mean by, you? What the hell are you getting at?"

Levi settles a stern glare upon me. One that would have anyone straighten their spine with sweat gleaming over their temples. However, I merely shake off his glare like it was nothing.

"Think about it, Nat and Elise were both targeted by these killers. Why?" Hanji grasps her chin with a thoughtful frown. I let her think for a moment like everyone else.

She then gives me a calculated look. "They're connected to you."

"Exactly." I spread out the papers allowing everyone to crowd over Erwin's desk. I point to both Nat's and Elise's papers. "They're on my squad and are both Cadets. I'm their leader which makes their connection to me important."

Levi scoffs and crosses his arms. "Alright, say that it is you that's leading these psychos to kill Elise and kidnap Nat. What about the others?"

I share a quick glance at him. For a moment he lets his barriers drop allowing me to see the troubled look in his eyes. He didn't like the idea of me being the reason behind all this. I set my lips into a thin line. I didn't like it more than him.

"Connected to me," I mumble. "Those five who died, I remember training with them and going to the academy with two. I wouldn't call them friends but we were well acquainted."

"That still doesn't prove anything," Levi snaps. "How can you be so sure that you're the reason why this is happening? Having some simple connection with them proves nothing, Emma."

"Oh, it doesn't?" I shove away the papers, bringing out the map once more. "Erwin, hand me a pen."

He gives me a quill pen all too intrigued as to what I was about to show. My mind was like a thing of its own. Doing it's own thing, running it's own thoughts that even I couldn't keep.

But I knew everything made sense now. It was like the heavy mist finally lifted.

I circle four locations, "This is where we found the first four bodies, correct?" I make a square outline just like before, connecting all the locations. "Then there's the other murder and where Elise's." I dotted their locations then connected them within the square. "But what if we added the market square Edward said Nat was kidnapped?"

I circled the location, allowing everyone to see the map. Within the first square was half a circle. It was all too obvious. The murderers who closing in on something or someone. If they killed another then that completes the circle. Which means right in the center would—

"So as I said, they're targeting me." I circled the building in the middle. The building where my apartment is at.

No one spoke. It was like they were too speechless to. I scan each of them seeing how they were still processing my theory.

Levi, however, seemed to pale slightly. He blinked twice before narrowing his eyes into a glare. He stews in his raw anger silently, like a bomb waiting to explode.

"Why you, Emma?" Erwin finally says. He looks up from the map to meet my gaze. His beautiful cerulean eyes shine in both worry and question. His lips set to a fine line.

I hesitate, my tongue suddenly not functioning. I had no reason why would target me even though the facts pointed to me. It just seemed logical.

I open my mouth intending to prove a point but, a knock came at the door. A police officer walks in. His grim expression in perfect view.

"Sorry to interrupt," he apologizes. "But I have something important. It's a letter."

"From who?" Levi demands gruffly. The officer straightens, his skin falling over to the paler side.