Fifty

"I can't believe you actually stood up for him."

I roll my eyes at Levi's bitter attitude. I don't face him but knew his instead, fiery glare was set between my shoulder-blades. I faced the window, attempting to process Elise's death.

I wondered, was she out on leave too? After all, the killings begin once someone takes leave. I tried to rack my brain of any sort of remembrance of seeing any sort of request but, couldn't.

However, it wasn't just that that was pressing down on my heart. I had to keep an eye on Edward. It's something I truly dislike, it was like I was betraying his trust in some way.

"What else was I supposed to do?" I seethe. "Sit back and watch you both lose loyalty in a solider?"

"Don't be a smart-ass," Levi snaps. "Instead of letting your emotions get in the way, you should've looked at the situation rationally."

"Oh, so the fact you kept insisting a member on your squad is an accomplice is rational?" I whirl around to send Levi a dark glare. My jaw was set tightly together while my fists were clenched. "There's no solid proof yet, your so set on making him out as the criminal? How's that rational?"

Levi crosses his arms, taking my glare as an invitation to become hostile. I don't back down when he straightens his shoulders.

"Because unlike you, I'm not stupid or dense," he growls. "Honestly, Emma, do you really think he has nothing to do with this case?"

"Yes!" I exclaim. "I know he's not part of it because he saved me."

"Or, you think know because of whatever hidden feelings you have for him," Levi spits. I make some sort of exasperated sound, throwing my hands in the air.

Unbelievable, I think angrily. Not only does he possess the power to piss me off but also to make things worse than they already are.

"So, the fact you're not saying anything proves I'm right?" Levi mocks with the cock of his head. He scoffs with a disguised look in his eyes. "Such horrible taste, Lieutenant. Bearing feelings for a young cadet who is possibly a criminal. Pitiful. I rather see you love a damn rock than that dumbass."

His words sent my blood into a boiling rage. My eyes glaring furiously at him while my fists shook.

"You know what? Fuck you!" I shout. "At least I know not to sell my friends out when I know they didn't do shit!"

"Don't tell me to fuck myself!" He roars. "You gladly did that favor for me last night if you don't recall."

His words sent me on a burning rage. My vision was foggy and my body shook. My mind was no longer in control of my body.

I could sense myself stomping towards Levi then grabbing his cravat. He grabs my collar in return.

"Oh, so we're playing like that then, huh? Then if I took that privilege away then maybe it's best we stop whatever thing we have!"

Levi narrows his eyes while setting his lips into into a nasty frown. "I see, now. You want to end it so you can spend time with your lover?" I grit my teeth and tighten my hold. Levi narrows his eyes while barring his teeth. "You're fucking joking."

I shake my head, "Of course not. If you wanna be a jackass then by all means go ahead. But that also means you get the opportunity again to go fuck yourself."

There was a heavy tension brewing between us. It was like an anvil pressing down my shoulders. But it wasn't enough for me to realize how nasty my words were to Levi.