Forty Five

Edward said he wanted to come into my office today. However, I didn't want him near me and I don't know why. The mere thought of my dear friend brought goosebumps over my skin.

God, why was I scared of him? He didn't nothing wrong to me. Hell, he saved me when I couldn't do that myself.

He even made sure I got safely home when I was too wary to make it alone. He's been there for me last night yet, as his words ring in my head it brought a different feeling than appreciation. I was seated atop my couch, biting my lip as I stare ahead of me aimlessly.

Why did he such a thing to those lunatics? How come he didn't capture them or even better, knock them unconscious? I knew he was more than capable to do it.

He was strong and agile, fighting those two buffoons should've been nothing. But he let them escape for who knows why. A soft rapping came at my door, I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I stare at the door with wide eyes. No, he can't see me like this. I don't want to scare him off. I shoot to my feet and straighten my shirt. I even clear my throat in case my voice decides to betray me.

"Name and business," I demand.

"Do I really need to answer?" A teasing voice questions.

I sigh inwardly, "Come in then, smart-ass." I listen to clicking of the knob then a soft push. Edward then comes into view. His wide grin didn't put my heart into a calm reverie like before.

"How are you feeling?" He asks with such a kind tone. I chew on my inner cheek, I wasn't sure why I suddenly felt so wary around him.

This was Edward, a young Cadet who takes great interest me. One who always brightens my day and even brought a smile out of me countless times. I shouldn't be nervous, right?

"Alright," I answer stiffly. I quickly head to my desk. "Just exhausted."

"I bet," Edward chuckles. "After that beating you took I'm sure your body's hurting."

It took all my will to force out a laugh. But the sound wasn't convincing to the least. It was lifeless, airy, and fake.

Even a child could sense my uneasiness. This brought a faltering smile to Edward's lips. He stares at me curiously and makes way towards me. I will my body not to move.

"Is everything alright?"

"Y-yeah! Of course!" I assure. "Why'd you ask?"

"Well," he stops before me and assesses me such an inspecting stare. "You don't seem like yourself."

I curse myself for having difficulty to conceal my true feelings. Always short to temper and never swallows down their words, this was hard. Hiding my true emotions wasn't what I specialized at, and Edward was getting close to realizing my nervousness.

"I am, don't worry!" I exclaim, bringing him out of his trance. "It's just that after last night I—I kinda wish Levi didn't had to lecture me."

That was such a stupid lie but, Levi was on my mind as well. All I could think about was the cold rage blazing in his silver eyes last night. His anger was as equally disturbing as Edward telling those serial killers to run.

"Oh." Edward mumbles. I nod along but don't reply. I watch as his cool demeanor slowly contort into something I had no words for. "Why was he at your apartment anyway?" He bites. "What did he even talk to you about?"

His sudden venomous words and look of hate brought me into a troubling trance. Despite Levi's coolness and bad attitude, Edward had looked up to him. Or so I thought.