Nine

There was nothing I could compare to the awkward tension that swamped this entire room. I was paralyzed atop the man I hated with a passion. My hazelnut eyes locked with his silver ones.

They were wide as mine and full of shock just like mine. His eyes had trapped my mind into a empty pit. Every thought I had, every ounce of fear I possessed mere seconds ago vanished.

With my mind blank my body retrieved no instructions to move. I couldn't think. I couldn't move. The only sense I had was touch.

I felt the closeness of his body against mine. The way I laid atop him like the space between couldn't be spared. The warmness of his breath coating my face and the gentle grip he had around my waist.

I found my hands to be gripping his shoulders like a cat's claws stuck onto fabric. My thoughts lingered on Levi's hands and the feeling of them holding my waist in such a gentle yet, secure way. It was a feather's touch, a touch I was surprised he possessed.

As much as I revolted at the idea of Levi touching me, I couldn't help but ponder at this new sensation. It was strange to me, to have a man hold me in such a way as though I was a delicate vase. It was an interesting feeling but, I had to stop it.

I didn't want to be held like this. I didn't want to be anywhere near Levi in the first place. But as many times I told myself that, I couldn't find the strength to push myself off.

Unable to speak or move, I watch Levi blink out of his daze. His eyes were fueled with disgust with his lips creating a deep frown. He tosses me off him and I land on my side.

I shake my head to get rid of those strange thoughts out of my mind. Levi sits up with one leg bent and the other straighten across the floor. He refuses to look at me, his shoulders rising and falling deeply.

I kept my eyes firmly on him, waiting for his reaction. I couldn't understand what he felt right now, yet I was sure his mood became fouler.

"Guess you were right," he mutters gruffly. He stands and sweeps up the injured rat before tossing it in a bag.

"Obviously," I snap with a scoff. "You just didn't want to believe me."

As I stood and wiped the dust off my pants I tried my best to ignore the tension between us. We both did. We spoke little afterwards and did our best to make little to no eye contact.

We both kept our distance, it was the best way to dial down the awkwardness. I did my best to focus on cleaning but my mind wasn't into it. I was trying to figure out the balled up emotions inside me.

Should I be mad or should I even care? It was a dumb accident that could happen to anyone yet, the sensation of his hands on me was like a ghost's touch. I still felt it.

It was still painted visually in the back of my mind. No matter how much I tried to destroy it, it was still fresh like morning dew.

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Two days. Two days of hard labor and verbal abuse from my Captain did we finally finish cleaning the floor. I was exhausted, my arms hurt and my legs ached. I wasn't sure if I could even hold a pencil.

I do my best to keep myself standing as I watch Erwin inspect the last room on the floor. Causally, he wipes a finger on a desk and inspects his finger.

"Impressive," he praises. "I never thought you two would be able to do it."

"It's just cleaning," Levi mutters. "Everyone should know how to do it."
He side glares me in emphasis and I scoff in response.