Fifty One

It was raining. I could smell the dense aroma the forest gave off. It was fresh and strong but, it wasn't something to be happy about outside the walls.

Rain meant unknown possibilities. It meant danger. It meant death.

Still, I gripped the reins of my horse and keeping my back slouched while my horse speeds through the plains. My cloak did little to keep me dry, I was starting to shiver.

"How many more miles till we reach the forest?"

Someone had galloped beside me. I glance over to my left to see a young man, he was my age, and his beautiful green eyes were upon me. His name was Chris.

Chris Downfall.

He's been such a loyal Scout to me ever since we started. Something leaps inside me, like my heart doing some sort of flip. But I push that feeling aside and clear my throat.

"About fifteen more miles, approximately." I reply. I turn my gaze back to the scenery ahead.

I listen to the gallops behind me. Twenty scouts. For the first time I was leading the charge.

Despite giving me a small number of Scouts, it was still a big risk and heavy responsibility. My mind lingers to hours before this mission, back to when Erwin and I argued till he could no longer say no. I was fervent and determined.

I knew more than he did, I scored higher than him in the academy when I decided to look at the records. Hell, I believe I was a better Commander than him. Despite being Captain, I wanted to prove myself even more.

He said this forest is swarming with Titans. It would be suicide if we travel through it. It was better if we went around.

I knew he was just scared to take a risk. We both knew it was the quickest way to reach the checkpoint we marked on our map. I estimated it three hours through forest and five going around.

When I made this point he had no choice but allow me to make a test run through the forest. If minimal Titans were spotted then we could travel through it. Everything depended on me this very moment.

I'll do everything in my power to prove how right I was. I began to see trees coming into view. They looked foreboding in the rain, a strong sense of caution started to well through me.

"Everyone, stay alert!" I shout. "Disperse into your respective squads!"

A firm yes ma'am was made and I glance over my shoulder to see everyone getting into position. Chris stays by my side but moves closer. My other members stay close behind.

"Emma, you're sure about this, right?" He asks me in a hush tone. "Is this worth it?"

His question was full of doubt, I could sense it. Despite the tough front he put up, I could see the doubt in his eyes. He glanced at me, his lips set to a firm line.

"We'll live, right?"

I nod immediately, my heart swelling when I see the hopeful smile coming across his lips.