Sixteen

I stomp down the dim lit halls. The torches flickered when I strode by. I was still fuming about the conversation taken place a few minutes ago.

I dismissed their odd curiosity and pushiness as some childish antic they still possessed. But I couldn't dismiss Hanji's little joke about Levi and I. She knew quite well we both didn't mix and my profound hatred towards him.

It was dumb to make that stupid joke but then again, Hanji found it entertaining when I get mad. Turning the corner, I decided to make a trek towards the small balcony that still existed in this old castle. Sleep wasn't an option for me tonight.

Finally reaching the balcony I was greeted with the crisp night air. A chill snaked up my back but it only made me even more awake. It was a clear night tonight.

The stars shined above me while the full moon cascaded enough light for me. Closing the wooden door I settled by a stone wall and slide down to the floor. I was left to my thoughts for a while.

It was somewhat peaceful but also troubling. I couldn't seem to let go of those memories no matter how deep I buried them. It brought an aching feeling inside my chest.

I bite my lip in hopes of swallowing down my nightmares. Bringing my knees close to my chest I knew I wasn't successful. I wasn't sure how many hours passed but the moon was no longer hanging above.

"Tch, what's your sorry ass doing up here?"

I grimace at his voice. My teeth baring against each other. Glancing to my right, Levi stands by the wooden door with arms crossed.

He frowns down at me with his eyes narrowed accusingly. I glare back, my insides turning cold and my blood heating.

"What's it to you?" I retort. I expected an equally, leveled, angry reply but only hear a small sigh. Levi doesn't leave.

Instead, he makes his way besides me and leans against the wall. We don't say anything for a while. Tense silence floats around us like a dense fog.

My mind suddenly begins to fill with Hanji's ridiculous claims and theories. I curse myself for remembering and bite my lip to keep from blushing. I clear my throat and keep my eyes in front of me.

"Where's your girlfriend?" I mutter bitterly. I hear Levi groan but don't turn to look.

"Are we still fucking on that?"

I shrug unresponsive. The anger I felt for Petra and Levi was nothing personal. It was simply annoying to see them all happy and lovey while we're out in the fields sacrificing our lives.

Can't they be mushy in private? I have no desire to see her all up on him and heaven only knows what he's like when it's just them two. The mere thought brought a sour tasting to my tongue.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I apologize sarcastically. "Is that supposed to be a secret?"

Levi's anger was practically radiating off of him. His anger was like a burning fire being built up each second. My temple starts to sweat but, I pay no mind to it.

"What's your problem lately?" Levi finally demands. Disgust was layering his words.

His silver eyes were on me. I was being watched like prey. Yet, I took that as a challenge, not a threat. I swerve my head to him. My face contorted into rage.

"My problem? What about you, huh? It seems like this past month you've made it your goal to piss me off."

His face held no expression, blank as ever. Yet, I knew he was angry. His eyes burned with it.