Eleven

The rest of the day went by smoothly after my little spat with Reed. I made sure to steer away from that punk as well as everyone else. I had trained throughout the afternoon alone.

I needed a way to vent out my anger and hitting a dummy constantly was a great plan. Now, I rest under a tree as I observe everyone heading back into the main cabin for dinner. I wasn't in the mood to eat nor did I have the desire to see those judging glares of my fellow soldiers.

I would rather eat alone than keep my anger in check in front of dozens. I release a heavy sigh and rest my head back against the bark. I could possibly take a nap and--

"You're not joining us?"

I glance to my left with a small frown. Hanji stood before me with her head tilted. I roll my eyes with a scoff and move my attention back to the hustling group.

"Not hungry," I mutter. Hanji hums in response before taking the space next to me. We don't say anything for a while.

Together we watched the young Cadets flounder into the cabin, their loud chatting faintly ringing in my ears. I don't question Hanji's presence, it never bothered me on most occasions.

"Are we going to talk about this morning?" She finally asks.

"What's there to talk about?" I question. "All I did was teach a punk a lesson."

"From what I heard, you had your knee on his face," she points out. I click my tongue before crossing my arms over my chest.

"Does it bother you that I was protecting myself?" I demand rather hotly.

The subject was still a bit fresh for me. I was used to beating people and teaching disrespecting men a lesson, but there was something wrong about the way his fingers lightly grazed my side. It revolted me to the point I wanted to drop him down a cliff.

Hanji releases a loud sigh. Clearly, she was trying to keep her temper in check.

"Of course I'm not upset over that," she says. "I'm just upset you let your anger take over again." I whirl my head to her. My face contorted into outrage.

"How the hell am I supposed to act?" I demand. "By acting grateful that a damn pig thought I was easy?!"

"You know that's not what I meant--"

"You're implying it! I acted in the most rational manner I thought of! If you were me, you'd do the same." I was burning up again, my heart racing rapidly inside me. I was beyond outraged.

Hanji couldn't possibly be telling me to keep a leveled-head during that situation. It would be the most ridiculous thing she'll ever say in the years I've known her. She closes her mouth and looks away. She didn't want to agree.

I scoff, "Don't act like you never gave in to your emotions, Hanji. We're human, that's what we do." After a moment she nods slowly, her lips pressed together.

"You're right." She murmurs. "We are human and I'm proud you stood up for yourself."

My brows quirk upwards, I try to understand her reasons for speaking to me. Yet, I was befuddled as ever.

"So, you're upset I acted out on anger but proud I stood up to myself." I clarify.

"As confusing as that sounds, yes," Hanji chuckles. "I do wish for you keep your emotions in check but today was an exception. A certain Cadet thought you were badass though."

I snort with a smile. That was ridiculous. No one ever thought of me that way, I was just a genius solider. My brain was the only thing worth praising.