Thirty

*Please read the Author's note below, thank you!^.^*

"This is the third time!" I hear someone exclaim in shock. "Another one of us was killed!"

The topic of yet another murder on the streets of Trost became quite a stir in the mess hall. Everyone begins to gasp and murmur to one another, discussing who was it this time. Newspapers scattered almost every table with crowds hovering over them.

"It's a female," one informs while pointing at the paper. "The MPs found her in an alleyway covered by crows."

"Yeah, and I heard that she was beaten to the point her face became mush." One adds causing another to scrunch their nose in disgust. "Who would do such a thing?"

I shake my head with a long sigh before focusing back on my dinner. It's only been two days since my proclamation towards Levi. Of course, I was going against orders once again but this was something I couldn't ignore.

I can't control who stays alive or gets killed out the walls but, here I can. Someone was killing these innocent soldiers with no motive as of yet. If I were to figure that out and maybe draw a connection with these murders then I might be able to save a dozen Scouts.

However, a small frown tugs my lips downwards. I still wasn't sure why I was so driven to stop these murders. It would be so simple to leave it up to the Military Police and help when needed.

It could Booker and Arron's words gnawing at the back of my skull. Their threat was too direct, it sounded like I placed a target on my back. Maybe I did this to save my skin. Or maybe it was because of what Levi said to me the other night.

'Instead of wondering what you could've done you can think of ways of how to better the Survey Corps. Make it so, so no one has to go through what you went through.'

That could be the reason why I was set on stopping this unknown murderer. But, I was still unsure as I still felt like my heart was still doing somersaults with every thought that included Levi. I came to the conclusion that if I didn't think of him then I was normal.

But if I did then I felt like adrenaline was pumping through me. My heart leaped and my stomach lurches in my throat like I was free-falling down the wall. At first, this feeling was terrifying as hell. I hated how my palms became clammy and how my face heats up with a thought of his gentle hands.

Now I found it intriguing and almost enjoyable. I don't force myself to think of Levi but when I do, I don't push those thoughts away. I let them linger like the scent of perfume on fabric.

I continued to think more about this but a soft tap on my shoulder brings me to a halt. Glancing to my left, Edward takes a seat beside me.

"Why are you sitting alone, Em?" He inquired with a worried frown.

I look away to scan the empty table I sat at. As upset as I was that Nifa, Hanji, and my squad members for avoiding me I couldn't show it. Especially to Hanji.

After our fight she avoided me at all costs. Yesterday was impossible though since she had to make a report about Levi and I's bonding experience. Long story short, it was a failure and we have to do another soon.

"Because I'm unlikable," I answer dully. I take another bite of my bread. I shoot a questioning stare at my friend. "What's it to you? Thought you were sitting with your friends."

Edward shrugs with a tired expression. "Eh, I'm not in the mood. Besides, I haven't seen you since our date and I missed you."

I choke on my food. I cough loudly before taking a huge sip of water. Edward chuckles besides me while watching me struggle to breathe again.