Ten

To do these exercises, we had to go outside Trost and into the countryside. It was not far on carriage and horseback but I had to quickly set up station for the Cadets. It was recommended those who are training this week to pack some things and stay in the nearby cabins.

Everyone had listened to Erwin's recommendation. Even Levi and Hanji. I, on the other hand, was hesitant to do such a thing. I haven't been to my apartment in almost a month.

I longed for just a day or two to spend some time in my empty apartment on the couch reading a book. But as Hanji stated, 'It would be a drag if it were just her and Levi overseeing the group here'. I reluctantly, caved but, it wasn't because I felt bad for her.

It was because I was tired of hearing Edward begging me to stay with them. So, here I am. I finished making an outside makeshift classroom with a chalkboard and a few chairs.

I was simply going to go over the basics of our mission and the design of the Survey Corps. Then I would have to teach those who still have trouble riding a horse while using their ODM gear at the same time.

It was a hefty amount of stuff I must do in the two hours I had but, we had a week. It was plenty of time.

In the distance where the cabins were located, I see a group of ten walking towards me. I place my hands behind my back and scan the group. Seven guys and three girls.

From the loud chit-chatting I heard I had a feeling who was among the group. When I saw the familiar short blond hair and tallish figure, I resisted to groan at the sight of Edward.

"Good morning, Cadets," I greet with a strain smile. "I am Lieutenant Emma Wolfram as you all know and I'll be foreseeing your mastery on strategizing and horseback riding."

I hear a cheerful good morning from the girls and couple of guys but, notice five of them only staring at me. I ponder at their expressions. They all look at me up and down as though I was some walking piece of food.

My thoughts were ridden of me when I hear someone shuffling behind the group. One pushes pass a red hair and raven colored hair to only stop in front of me.

"Mornin', Em!" Edward says gleefully. "Saw you wake up bright and early for us!" I and along with the rest of the group gape at him as if he were crazy.

When I don't respond to him, he stares at me with that stupid grin of his. He awaited patiently like an obedient dog. The way he spoke to me, it was out of formality and downright inappropriate considering the ranks we were.

And he was too dumb to even see that. I take a step to him. My face contorting in a calm expression but my eyes were layered with ferocity.

"Cadet Cam," I seethe through my teeth. "Is that a way to speak, let alone address, an officer of higher ranking?"

His smile slowly fades when he realizes the situation before us. I watch him swallow thickly and stiffen his shoulders.

"No, ma'am," he murmurs.

"I couldn't hear you, Cadet Cam."

"I said, no, Lieutenant Wolfram!"

When I see a blush blooming over his tanned cheeks, a surge of triumph washes over me. I let out a huff before looking back at everyone else. They all avert their eyes from me, even the ones who were gazing at me strangely.

"All of you, take your seats," I instruct as I walk back to the board. "I'm going to teach you the few main plans used when spotting a Titan. But first, I would like to learn all your names."