Twenty Three

For the first time I was not tormented by my memories. I was drifted off into a peaceful slumber dreaming of nothing but a dark abyss. When I awoke only a few hours later I felt regenerated.

I don't think I slept that well in the past few weeks. It was nice. However, I wasn't sure I could say the same about Levi and I.

No matter the amount of comfort he provided me the night before, our usual bickering returns. But this time it was with more bitterness, each insult he would throw was like ice pricking my skin. I didn't mind though. I gladly throw my own insults back at him making sure each one was a hit.

"Damn you! You know that bread was for me!"

"Shut up! Your name wasn't on it, pig!" Levi yells in hot anger.

"So what? I'm the one who's hungry!"

"You brat! I'm a higher rank than you!"

"What's that got to do with anything?" I exasperate with my eyes wide in irritation. "What's the point of you eating anyway? You already look like a corpse!"

I could tell I landed a hit. I watch the way Levi's eyes widen in surprise before narrowing with his lips curled into a snarl.

"I'm going to turn your body into a corpse if you don't shut that mouth of yours, Lieutenant."

I smirk deviously, underneath that cool exterior he was a loose cannon like any other twenty-year-old guy. Insults weren't something he enjoyed taking. But I sure as hell enjoyed giving them to him.

I place my metal mug on the desk with a thud. I take a step towards Levi who sat on his bed. Bread in one hand and a mug in the other.

His glare sends daggers into my core but to my surprise it doesn't bother me. Instead, my smirk widens in challenge. I lean down with my hands placed on the sides of my hips.

"I like to see you try, Captain," I drawl. "After all, I think I have the upper hand."

Levi slightly cranes his head upwards, it amused me knowing he had to look up to meet my playful gaze.

"Oh? And what makes you so confident, Emma?" His warm breath fans over my face sending an electrifying sensation all over my body.

The way my name falls out of his lips was just breathtaking. My insides twist and turn, my heart racing tremendously inside of me. My previous playfulness disperses twisting into balled up fury.

This was so damn annoying. Why do I have to suffer over the way he simply says my name? It just pisses me off more knowing I was letting him get to me. My nose scrunches as I hook my fingers underneath his cravat. I pull him close, my nose accidentally brushing against his.

"The fact you're pissing me off," I growl lowly. "Is giving me the urge to slap that arrogant smirk off your face."

Despite my threat I watch Levi's lips spread into a devilish smirk before turning it into a frown. "You're acting real bratty, you know that?" He says just as lowly. My heart jolts into my throat at the sound of his husky voice. 

"Just because you couldn't have your way you decide to throw a tantrum just like a spoiled child. Didn't your parents teach you any manners?"

"Tch, I don't need them teaching me shit."

"Then shall I whip some sense into you?"

Somehow my body began to drown in hotness. I couldn't understand the immediate sweat that formed over my forehead or the lack of breathing. I felt as though as I was going crazy.