Twenty

"What the hell were you two thinking?! How idiotic can you two be?!"

I stood before Erwin. My lips were pressed shut while I fiddled with my fingers behind my back. I couldn't meet his gaze as there was too much humiliation stirring inside me.

The fight was long over and we were back at the castle ruins. No one died thankfully but, Nat and Edward had sustained horrible injuries. Nat had a couple broken ribs and arm while Edward had one broken rib with his forehead spilt open. I clench my jaw at the memory.

"Not only did you put yourselves at risk but you put others as well!" Erwin bellows. "And for what?! A fucking childish competition?!"

I flinch at his choice of words. Not once have I witnessed Erwin swear in such a way. He truly was pissed as he should be.

"Like I said before, I didn't start it!" Levi shouts from beside me. "Who the hell do you think you are to accuse me?"

"Your damn Commander, that's who I am!" Erwin yells while towering over Levi. I swallow thickly at how small he was compared to the Commander. "And I can accuse you of this since you're at fault! What kind of dumbass tries to state their dominance during battle?! Provoking Emma was completely stupid but what's even more stupid is you and her putting people in danger for your antics!"

Raw anger stirs inside Levi. I could sense his nasty glare and the hot anger racing through his body. I was too afraid to raise my eyes, that was until I see a finger pointed at my chest.

"I expected better from you, Lieutenant Wolfram." Erwin huffs in a disappointed tone. Slowly, with my heart beating thunderously in shame, I look up. I met his raging blue eyes and his downturned frown. "The one Scout I saw potential in when I first laid eyes on them now shows me how unreliable they can be."

His words cut deeper than I realized. I struggled to release a short breath and even found myself gripping at anything inside me to keep the tears from rising. I send my gaze past him noticing how Hanji and Nifa had hooked Edward's arms around their shoulders.

They notice my stare. They don't return anything worth reassuring. My heart plummets into my stomach and cast my eyes down in shame.

"Wasn't that mission enough?" I hear Erwin question hotly. "Wasn't losing twenty Scouts two years ago and being the only one making it out alive enough? Or did you not get your fill of making bad decisions?"

I understood his anger for I was angry at myself too. But why was he throwing that at my face? I'm trying my best not to my lose face but I feel him taking down every stone I placed up as a wall to protect me from it all. I grip my fists tightly retaining the urge to shake.

"What I did was childish. I get that," I say curtly.

"Do you now?" Erwin questions with a raised brow. He scoffs sarcastically, "So, you're saying you completely understand that you and Levi placed yourselves before others. That you decided to commit insubordination to prove some ridiculous rivalry and made a mistake that could've cost you both your lives." He shifts his gaze to Levi. "Am I wrong?"

Levi's feet shuffle beside me but not once did he lower his haughty glare. A moment has passed, he doesn't reply. It only made Erwin huff loudly.

"As I said before the mission, if I hear any information about you two unable to work together then you two are done. I've never realized how much it was a mistake to place you both on the same team."

Unconsciously I bite my bottom lip with sweat brimming my forehead. I wasn't sure what Erwin had in mind but I envisioned the worst. I wasn't sure if I could handle being discharged from being a Scout.