Sixty Six

It didn't stop. The screams kept going. It filled that endless dark void I was used to.

I wasn't sure how long I was out but I knew those screams had been part of my darkness for a long time. I never opened my eyes, I was too afraid to. I didn't want to know who was screaming or what was happening to them.

There came a bone shattering sound then a curdling shriek afterwards. My body subconsciously cringes. I fought back my own scream that would've been layered in fear.

There was sharp pain radiating in my shoulder. And I couldn't ignore it any longer. It's as if someone has a strong a grip on my shoulder and began squeezing and twisting the spot with all their sadistic might.

It hurt—badly. I thought my arm would fall any moment. I decided I couldn't take it anymore. Couldn't take the screams, being in the unknown about where I was, and the endless searing pain.

I had to open my eyes to at least understand where I was. My vision was foggy at first and squinted at the unusual dimness surrounding me. A couple torches that hang on the walls to my left and right had provided minimal light.

The floor was made of stone and so were the walls. I swallow thickly, was I in something of old cellar? Another bone shattering sound was made and somehow this one was louder than before.

Even the scream had placed a shivering chill down my spine. I look before me to see what was truly happening. Three men stood before a helpless being.

Their arms shackled to the wall behind them. They kneeled on the floor, their shoulders rising and falling rapidly. Their head hung loose while a pool of blood surrounded the being.

I couldn't see their face but knew the person was a woman. Their clothes were in rags covered in dirt and blood but when I saw their prominent chest I knew this was a female. And there was only one female who would be in such a state.

"Nat." I'd mustered all my strength to breathe out that name. And even though it wasn't loud those three men stopped their torturing.

Edward, Arron, and Booker turn their attentions to me. Their pleasure on inflicting pain on Nat had disappeared. The tools in their hands go limp.

But I didn't care and didn't spare them a glance. I stare at Nat's helpless form as I was sure she was close to being half-dead. Her left arm was bent in an odd way while many cuts and bruises layering her body. She doesn't bother looking up, she possibly lost conscious considering the hell they're putting her in.

"Well now, look who's finally awake." Edward purrs and it sounded all so wrong to me.

I tried to move when I hear them make their way towards me. But like Nat I was shackled to the wall behind me. It placed my arm and shoulder in a painful position and I couldn't help but groan at the burning sensation.

"Hurts, doesn't it?" Edward swiftly kicks me in the gut allowing the air to be knocked out of me. I gasp at the pain, doubling over and cough harshly.

I hear Arron and Booker snicker. None said a word as they watched my pathetic form gasping for air. Saliva trickled down my chin as I felt my insides crinkle at the sudden physical abuse.

I do my best to swallow down the pain, I won't let them get the satisfaction of hurting me. I look up with an exhausted smirk but still place all my remaining courage into my gaze. Arron and Booker seemed surprised by it.

"Is that—all you got?" The words were breathless when they left my lips. Truly, I sounded exhausted and worn out. Edward did take notice and found himself smirking back at me.