Twenty Nine

I felt Hanji's firm hand over my shoulder. She had stopped me before exiting the kitchen and to my knowledge I wasn't sure why. I roughly shrug off her grip and turn around.

"'Bout what?" I question coldly. I wasn't sure where my sudden coldness and anger came from but it was pumping through my veins rapidly.

Seeing her equally cold and hard gaze made me angry. A part of me just wanted to snarl at her like an animal.

"When are you going to own up?" Her questions baffles me. It was sudden but to the point. It almost made me laugh.

She wasn't cheery or teasing anymore. She looked at me as though I was some lousy jerk. I click my tongue at that.

"And what exactly should I be owning up to?" I question hotly. "I don't remember doing anything to you."

Hanji releases a scoff before shaking her head in disbelief. I found nothing shocking.

"You're kidding, right?" She asks with a look. "You know exactly what you did. You ruined the expedition!"

"Oh, you mean that," I nod mockingly before crossing my arms. "Wasn't sure how that affected you but you can stop being an ass."

I was stunned by my words. They rushed out of me like a unpredictable flood. I was angry at her, yes, but I was taking it too far.

I wanted to stop but I was already let loose. My temper got the better of me.

"Excuse me?" Hanji gasps with wide eyes. "I'm not an ass! You're being one right now! Of course what you did back then affected me! It affected everyone! Did you not realize how worried I was?"

"No and don't care," I spat bitterly. "I got a question though, if you were so worried how come you've been ignoring me?"

"You know why," Hanji mutters with narrowed eyes.

"Clearly, I don't," I snap. "That's why I'm asking."

She shakes her head with an exasperated groan before running a hand down her face. I was pissing her off and I hated it. I wanted things to go back to normal. But I couldn't bring myself to admit that.

"Look," she seethes through her teeth. "Just apologize to me and that'll be enough."

"To hell with that!" I stomped my foot abruptly and got in her face despite the height difference. "Why the hell should I apologize?! If it's to Levi and my squad members then that's one thing but to you is another! You weren't even there!"

"That doesn't change the fact that you almost died, Emma!" Hanji yells back. "You pulled something stupid and you made me worry sick! If you apologize now maybe we can go back to normal."

I click my tongue, is that what it took? We couldn't just forget about it and move on? Seeing the disappointment in Hanji's eyes I realized that wasn't an option.

I did yearn for her to speak to me again and the others as well. I became so accustomed to having people around that I didn't want to go back to being alone. The mere idea frightened me.

But I was angry too. I was angry at her for throwing me to the side the way she did after the expedition. I hated the fact she looked me like I was nobody to her.

I despised the way she never visited me when I was in that cell or the fact she ignored me. Her abandonment hurt me more than she realized. And I won't be the first to apologize. I step away and turn my angry gaze to the side.

"It's your loss then," I mutter. "Because I'm not apologizing for something so stupid. Now, if you'll excuse me, I got better things to do than stand here talking to you."