Thirteen

I force myself not to dwell on my childish acts four days prior. After what I said to Levi I couldn't stop thinking about it. I won't admit it was wrong of me to say such things but, there was that sour feeling devouring me from the inside.

I did my best to rid those thoughts but to no avail. I was plagued by Levi's deep tone and the words he spoke before storming out that cabin. Yet I was till debating if I took it too far with him.

I rub my left temple in hopes to calm my beating headache. Tomorrow was our mission with the twenty Cadets. I had complete faith most will make it out alive but then again, how many times was I wrong about this sort of thing?

"We have to regroup the squads ," I hear Erwin mutter to himself. Presently, I was at a meeting with Erwin and the officers attending this mission.

Erwin was studying a few papers with names on all of them. Spread about on his map table he leans over the papers as he studies the papers more carefully. I stood in a line with all the high ranking officers.

I stood at the end of the line with Levi surprisingly on my right. The silence between us ever since we arrived back to Trost was starting to become unbearable. Was he truly taking what I said to heart?

I suck in a breath, taking a chance to glance at him. He doesn't look back.

"Emma."

Startled by the sound of my name, I quickly stand straighter with my feet planted firmly besides each other.

"Yes, sir!" I reply too loudly. Erwin doesn't seem to notice and beckons me over. Striding to his side I also gaze down at his papers.

"This is the number of veteran troops we have. And also the number of Cadets," he informs while pointing to his work. "Is it possible to use our Long-Distance formation with just fifteen groups?"

I stare at the names and numbers, my mind speeding through many possibilities. Five in each squad would be enough in this case, if we're considering the Scout Regiment presently only has four hundred soldiers then my calculations would be--

"I don't advise fifteen groups, sir," I say at last. "It's too small, it'll be inefficient and would draw in more Titans."

"Then what do you suggest?" He questions with a glance.

"Twenty-six groups," I reply. "With five in each squad." He holds my stare for a moment before looking away.

"Twenty-six, huh?" He murmurs. "Then that means a few of the Cadets would have to lead those groups."

I nod gravely, "It's a risk since they're still inexperienced but, if you wish to use our tactic then this the best way. We'll cover more land." Erwin nods thoughtfully debating if my advise was worth going for.

"Alright," he breathes. "Twenty-six it is." He turns back to his fellow soldiers with his lips pressed in a firm line. "Hanji, Levi, I need you two to give me at least nine Cadets who can handle being Squad Leader for this mission. I'll pick the others."

Nodding they both stride towards the table and scan the papers as well. I take a step back knowing I wasn't needed at the moment. Erwin gestures his hand to the others.

"Inform everyone of the preparations and make sure we have enough supplies." I listen to the soft yes sir's and the clopping of their heels against the wood.

When the door closes Erwin, Hanji, and Levi got to work. I watch them trade ideas and suggestions for those being picked. I only placed in my opinions when necessary.

With the information I gathered during the short week of training, Erwin was sure the Cadets are more than ready for this upcoming mission.

"That leaves us with one more group," Levi announces with a sigh. I now leaned against a wall as I gaze outside into the streets.