Side Story: The Royal Guard

The hydra quest was a success. But Aster wasn't satisfied. The soldiers could've been much more useful. He knew they had more potential. He just needed to help them unlock it.

So, he got his father to agree to let him redesign their training regiment. And he had no intention of going easy on them...

After all, they were meant to protect the castle and royal family. They can't afford to be weak. So he took a few quick trips to Earth, both a bunch of their training equipment, and began duplicating it with magic.

It took a few days since duplicating so many things with nothing but magic was difficult. But he got it done! And when he was done, he presented the royal guard with their new training grounds.

It included a small building for them to use the equipment he made, as well as a track and football field. Why football? Simple. Teamwork!

He needed them to be able to react quickly and work as a team. So he split them into two teams that would occasionally exchange players so as to make sure there was no resentment. Once that was done, he explained the game to them and let them play a few rounds.

The training they were going through was definitely hellish in comparison to what they were used to. But the results were quickly showing themselves as they bulked up.

Plus, they were starting to enjoy football. He even allowed them to pick their own captains. Lightning for Team Silver, and Thunder for Team Gold.

He even invited his parents and some nobles to watch the games. His mother wasn't too interested but admired his strategy. River and some of the noblemen loved it though and wanted to join in.

Moon forbid it though. Because 'royalty can not be seen rough housing with the guards.'

River was understandably disappointed and pleaded with Aster to find a way around this. So he decided to find a game his mother would enjoy as well so they could both have fun.

And what better than chess, a game of pure intelligence and strategy! It took longer to set up the pieces and boards than it did to create the football gear because he had to wait for the craftsmen to make each individual piece.

Once he completed it, he showed it to his mom and explained the rules and played a friendly match against her, which she lost. It hurt her pride, so she insisted on a rematch. And then another, and then another...

Even when she began to beat Aster multiple times in a row, she wouldn't let him leave until he threatened to take the game away.

Now that Moon was basically in love with chess, he got her and River to agree to let each other play their respective games. Moon could play against the maids and other noblewomen as much as she wanted, and River could play football with the royal guards.

There was a few mishaps. Like when Moon tried to teach River how to play, and he ended up throwing the board. He didn't exactly have a lot of patience for mind games...

But atleast Aster was able to start selling chess boards to the nobles as a new source of income. He didn't want to have to keep making money that he could only really use on Earth.

Once he was done with all of this, he laid on his bed and tried to relax.

"Man...kinda wish Pony was still here...I wonder if Saint O's would let me visit her. Isn't it her birthday soon?" - A