Side Story: The Henchman

Hak Foo has been imprisoned for about five months at this point. The last time he was free, he'd been after the Armbands of Shiva. Now, he was stuck with a bunch of freaks, like Presto Chango and the endlessly rhyming Spring Heeled Jack.

Shendu got his own private cell deep in whatever jail this was. But Hak Foo didn't care. Shendu was useless without the talismans and was just a big piece of rock at this point.

The only thing keeping him sane in here were the therapy sessions that had been given to him as a special privilege. Apparently Aster wanted to see if he could be reformed.

At first, he just stayed quiet during every session. But eventually it did begin to kind of help. And once he had gone a full month without attacking anyone, he was allowed to meet Gantu.

The two had a lot in common. Both came from troubled backgrounds where they had to become stronger to survive. Either because it was necessary, or because they were forced to. Except Gantu had learned that strength isn't just about the body, but the mind as well. The two became sparring buddies, with Gantu becoming someone he greatly respected and considered a friend.

Over the last few days, life had become better for Hak Foo. He'd been given an actual room on HEROES Island, though he was still monitored and given a tracking chip, since he still needed to prove his loyalty.

But that didn't mean that his improved behavior would go unrewarded. Aster gave him the artifact he wanted, the Armbands of Shiva. With it, Hak Foo could finally fight Gantu on equal grounds and was able to form a little clique among the martial artists. He only accepted the best and the brightest into his little group.

The thought of rebelling against Aster and escaping did cross his mind. Everyday, in fact. But then he saw what Aster had built here. A home.

If Hak Foo had kept living as a mercenary, he doubted he'd have ever really achieve his goals or find happiness. Atleast here, he got three meals a day and got to hang out with people he respected. Plus the fights in the training rooms kept him busy.

Fighting against the other super humans like Gil, Viper, and Jade was always interesting. They fought on a whole new level than he ever did before, and he was able to stand his ground. Not for very long, but still.

He was also surprised by how strangely welcoming everyone was. They used to be his enemies, and yet they didn't exclude him or accuse him of being a traitor. Instead, they asked for tips on how to fight better or for him to teach them some move.

The most welcoming of them all was Tohru, who had been exactly like him. A henchmen. And now, he was a hero and an intermediate level light Chi wizard.

So, he decided to stay. Maybe teach a few of the scrawny mages a thing or two about 'real combat'...

This was him home.

For now, anyways.