Chapter 3

Esmé woke up late that night to thunder rumbling outside. She hid within her bed, the loud noises frightening her.

She shut her eyes tight as she seen a bright flash of lightning before the sound of the rain pouring, another loud rumble outside and she say up in bed, not liking how dark the room was.

She considered staying in bed and trying to fall back asleep, but she knew she wouldn't be able to. Esmé stood and went to the door.

She jumped when she heard another loud bolt come down and felt the panic fill her as she opened her door, shutting it behind her as she stepped into the hall.

Esmé made her way to Alma's door and knocked gently, hoping she'd be awake.

She heard someone walk to the door and open it and seen Alma was awake, the candle in her room sitting by a book she must have been reading.

Alma saw the tears in the corner of Esmé's eyes and silently let her in. She did so and stood next to the bed, not knowing what to do.

"You can sit down, relax." Alma says gently and got back into her bed, gently taking the book back in her hand. Esmé moved into the other side of the bed but sat up, bringing her arms around her as she felt that familiar itch in her wrist. Alma seen the woman's gaze off to the distance and looked over her.

"Are you alright?" Alma asked, worried for her. Esmé just nodded, still not looking at her. Alma set her book aside and took Esmé's hand.

The younger woman felt her talons dig into her hand for a moment until Alma gently moved her hand against hers, gently brushing the girls hair behind her ear.

Thunder clapped once more and Esmé flinched. Alma noticed this. "Do you want to stay here tonight?"

Esmé said nothing but eventually nods, Alma holding her arms out and Esmé looked at her confused for a moment before leaning in, Alma hugging her tight against her.

"You're always safe here and if I'm ever not awake, just let yourself in." Alma said gently. "I'm here, Esmé."

The younger girl hesitated, not used to the affection and how nice the woman was being but eventually gave in, pressing her forehead against her shoulder as she returned the hug.

Esmé breathed in the sweet vanilla sent of Alma's perfume, finding it calming. The older girl held her gently as she did so.

"You should get some rest." Alma says softly and pulled away, gently looking over her, blushing slightly when the girl met her eyes.

Esmé gave her a small smile but moved to hug her again when thunder clapped once more.

Alma felt her cheeks burn when she did and this time Esmé didn't let go.

"Sorry, I've never been fond of thunder." She says with a nervous laugh, tensing when she seen a flash of lightning light up the room.

"No, it's alright. I understand." Alma said gently. "We can hug all night if that will help. I don't mind at all."

Esmés cheeks burned bright in the dark and a nervous smile spread across her lips.

"It's alright." She says softly, but something in her made her not want to pull away and Alma noticed.

"You okay?" Alma asked with a small smile. Esmé nodded and hummed.

"You're really comfy." She said as she leaned against the older girl.