Chapter 61

Alma had been making an effort with her children for a while now, and most of them had come around. It was just Enoch that seemed to resent her.

"Miss Bloom, have you seen where Enoch is?" Alma asks, seeing the girl come downstairs.

"Playing with his puppets. He gave one knife hands." She said.

Alma hummed, a bit disappointed to hear he wasn't out and talking to the others.

Alma decided to go upstairs and have a word with him. She didn't want him to be alone and isolated.

"Mr O'Connor?" She lightly knocked on his door.

"What?" The boy grunts.

"May I come in?" She asked.

There was a long silence before he spoke again. "Fine."

Alma gently pushed open the door, noticing the jars that filled the room and spotted him at his desk, two of his puppets with him.

"Wouldn't you like to spend some time with the other children?" She asked gently. He let out a small laugh at this.

"I'd rather not. None of them even stayed to see what I can do." He says and Alma looked over his puppets before back at him.

"I'd like to see."

He let out a small chuckle. "You sure, bird?"

"Yes, I am. I'd love a demonstration of your talents." Alma said.

The boy seen she was serious and took one of his other puppets, taking one of the small hearts from his jar.

Enoch carefully put the heart into one of his puppets, grabbing another heart for the other.

Alma watched him closely, seeing how he placed each one in carefully and the boy shared a look with her.

He pulled his hands away and a moment later the two puppets jumped to life. "This is normally the part where people run." Enoch said as the puppet with knife hands waved at the Ymbryne.

Alma watched as the two started to fight each other, the knife hitting the others spear as the moved across the desk.

One stabbed the other through the heart, ending the fight. Alma grinned at this. "That was wonderful!"

"What?" Enoch says, raising an eyebrow, confused at her reaction.

"You have a marvelous peculiarity." Alma said with a genuine smile. "I'm glad you showed me."

"Yeah, well, it's nothing too big." He says, unsure what to say and met her eyes. "Thanks."

Alma felt herself beam at the improvement and the boy immediately shooed her out of the room.

"Alright, have fun." She said as she closed the door behind her. Alma smiled to herself as she made her way back downstairs.

"Miss Peregrine?"

Alma spotted Horace in the hall.

"What is it?"

"I found out where the location of her loop may be."

"Where?" She asked immediately, now all attention on the boy. She had to know.

"It's somewhere near Wales. Near England I believe, but not in town. I believe it's somewhere towards the wooded area." Horace says, thinking deeply.