Chapter 56

Alma and Esmé were helping their mentors with gathering their bags to the carriage, Alma planning to leave the home and take them all to the ferry before returning.

"Alma?" Miss Raven said gently. "Are you still looking for a home for the kittens?"

"We are, why?" Alma said.

"Because I think we'd like to take them with us." She smiled, holding her girlfriend's hand.

"You don't mind taking their mother with you as well?" Esmé asks and Miss Bluejay sent her a soft look.

"We'd love to take her as well."

"Miss S, are you still staying here?" Esmé asks and the mentor nods.

"I don't have anywhere else to go." Miss Sparrow shrugged.

"Would you like to name them all too?" Alma asked as Esmé left to go grab them.

"Sure." Miss Raven says with a small smile, Esmé carefully setting them into a crate before gently handing them over to them.

"Awww the sweethearts." Miss Bluejay said as she took the crate.

"Well I suppose we should be going. I'll be home after they get on the ferry." Alma says, looking over Esmé and the younger woman hummed.

"Alright. I love you." She smiled. "Bye moms!" Esmé said happily, hugging Miss Raven and Bluejay.

"Goodbye, dear. Please keep in touch." Miss Raven says with a smile, hugging her tight and pressing a kiss on her forehead.

Miss Bluejay hugged her gently. "Goodbye, dear. Thanks for the kittens. We'll take great care of them."

"Of course, please visit soon." Esmé says and Alma gently brought her into a close hug, pressing a kiss to her cheek and then her lips.

"I'll be right back sweetheart." Alma said softly it's a smile. Esmé smiled and said another goodbye to them as they left.

"Hey mom?" She looked over and seen Austin beside her, the little boy looking up at her.

"Yes, dear?"

He was interrupted by Bud, meowing loudly. He was looking out the window, watching them leave with the stray and her kittens. He turned to look at Esmé, meowing at her.

"I'm sorry, Bud, but we can't keep them all." Esmé says gently, Austin picking him up in his arms.

"When's mom gonna be home?" He asks.

"Soon, she's just taking them to the ferry." Esmé said softly.

"Can we make brownies tonight?" Austin asks with a small smile and his mother chuckles.

"Only if I get to lick the stirring spoon!" Esmé said happily.

"Can I lick the bowl?" He asked with a grin.

Esmé laughed and took his hand, guiding him to the kitchen.

"Sure, love. We can get started now so they'll be done for dinner and when mom gets home." She says with a small smile.

"Yay!" He said happily, setting down Bud and rushing to the kitchen.

Alma eventually returned home, the night air growing chilly as she approached the home, opening the door and the warm smell of dinner filled her senses.

"Mom!" Austin yelled as he rushed to the door. "We made you dinner!" He said happily.

"Thank you, dear." Alma says with a smile, kneeling down to hug him tight. "It smells wonderful."