Chapter 76

Esmé headed to bed early, waiting for Alma to tuck the children in. She waited patiently, but she wanted to talk to her wife, she loved her voice.

Eventually the older woman came into the room, noticing she was wide awake and smiled slightly.

"Are you expecting something?" She asks and Esmé shook her head.

"No, I just want to talk."

"Is this a bad talk or..?" Alma asked, slightly nervous as she moved to change into her nightgown.

"No, no, of course not." Esmé says softly. "I just want to talk. About whatever." She says, looking away as the woman changed.

"You know I don't mind it if you see me like this." Alma said as she pulled the nightgown over her head.

"I know, I don't want to be rude though." Esmé says softly, looking up when Alma tilted her chin up, noticing she was dressed for the night.

"You know I wouldn't mind." She says simply, placing a small kiss on her lips before getting in bed.

"I love you." Esmé said with a small smile. She enjoyed being close to the woman, knowing neither of them had anywhere to be but with each other.

"I love you too." Alma says softly and went to turn off the light when Esmé sat up.

"Could we leave it on for a bit?" She asks quietly. "Please?"

"Sure, are you alright?" She asked gently.

"I am, I just really want to spend time with you." Esmé said with a smile.

"Then come here." She says with a smile, Esmé moving over to lay against her, bundling herself in her wings as she curled up next to her.

"You're so sweet my darling birdie." Alma said with a smile. Esmé smiled and pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"What's on your mind?" Alma asks, noticing the woman fall quiet for a bit.

"I'm just thinking. I love you so much." Esmé said happily.

"I know you love me sweetheart, but why are you crying?" Alma asked gently.

Esmé fell silent, wiping her cheek, not realizing she was.

"I don't know." She says with a small smile.

"Is something on your mind?" Alma asks softly, cupping her cheek against her hand.

Esmé shook her head no. "Are you sure?" Alma asked gently. Esmé nodded as she looked up at her.

"You can tell me anything." Alma says softly and Esmé hesitated, looking over her, subconsciously bringing her wings in closer around herself.

"Alma- I.. uhm.. don't freak out okay?" Esmé said nervously.

"I won't, just tell me what's wrong."

Esmé took a deep breath, looking at her for a moment before looking down at the floor as tears built in her eyes.

"Hey, what's going on?" Alma asks gently, wiping away her tears.

"I'm pregnant." Esmé whispers, her voice giving out.

"What-" Alma said, not finishing her sentence. "But- how can that be? Did the birth control not work? Oh my birds." Esmé began to panic a bit, worried Alma was upset.

"I-I stopped taking it." Esmé admits as she felt her voice tremble. "I wasn't thinking, I just thought if I couldn't have kids, then what's the point of taking it and I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"