Chapter 13

Alma woke up the next morning as a bird. Esmé had also shifted and they were wrapped around each other gently.

Alma glanced over at the falcon, looking over her before carefully pressed her beak against hers.

Esmé woke up a bit at this and cooed gently. Alma chirped and pressed her beak against hers again.

"Wait wait wait." Esmé went quiet from her storytelling and looked over at Ember. "You're telling me, despite everything you did so far, you thought you were only friends? And how come we never hear you both speaking about a Miss Raven?"

"Miss Raven.. she meant a lot to us. And losing her took a toll on us." Alma said gently as she took her wife's hand in hers.

"She was a wonderful mentor, I wish you all could have met her." Esmé says with a bittersweet smile.

"Keep telling us stories!" Willow says, excited and Esmé smiled.

Esmé chirped and wrapped her wings tightly around Alma. Alma cooed and did the same.

The school had already announced the day before they wouldn't have classes as to give everyone time to grieve so Alma wanted to take advantage of their spare time, nuzzling her head into the gyr falcons feathers.

Esmé rubbed her beak into her chest feathers. Alma cooed at this and held Esmé closer.

She perked up when she heard someone knock on the door and Alma seen Miss Sparrow, the woman a bit surprised to see both her in Esmés room.

Esmé didn't notice her and nipped at Alma gently. Miss Sparrow noticed this and seemed to assume. "Are you two dating?"

Esmé jumped and quickly shifted back, meeting her mentors gaze at the door.

"No, no, of course not, that would be wrong." Esmé says quickly, the peregrine making her way to the girls lap, not caring that Miss Sparrow was there.

Miss Sparrow tilted her head and smiled at her. "You don't have to lie to me." She said gently. "I've dated in the past. It's okay."

"We're not dating." Esmé says at the same time Alma squawked and Miss Sparrow raised an eyebrow.

"So those looks you send each other and all those little touches, mean nothing?" She asked, confused.

"It's a friend thing." Esmé shrugs and the mentor looked at them confused. "What did you come here for?"

"I wanted to make sure you were alright. I know you were close with Miss Raven." She said gently.

"We're fine." Esmé says softly, Alma tugging her hand up with her beak and Esmé smiled a little, lifting her hand to have the bird press her head against it.

Alma moved up to press her beak against her cheek. Esmé smiled and pressed a gentle kiss to her beak. "Are you sure you two aren't together?"

"No." Esmé says, looking at the mentor confused. "How's Miss Bluejay doing? Did you talk to her at all yet? I'm assuming you know about her and Miss Raven."

"I've been close with them for decades." Miss Sparrow said gently. "I've always thought they were a wonderful couple. You two remind me a bit of them."

Esmé felt her cheeks burn a bit and looked down at the falcon against her, gently scratching her feathers.

"Miss Bluejay is doing alright, just grieving. I'm sure a lot of us will be for a while." Miss Sparrow says softly.

"Miss Avocet threatened her job. Would you look out for her? She got in trouble for having me in her room." Esmé said worried for her.

"For having you in her room?" Miss Sparrow says confused and Esmé nods.

"She's giving me detention after everyone's done grieving. I don't want her to lose her job though." Esmé says quietly, scratching the falcons head.

"That's terrible. How stupid!" Miss Sparrow said, upset.

"A lot of her rules are stupid." Esmé said sadly as she looked down a the bird in her arms.

"I have to go check on the other students, but if you need me for anything, let me know." Miss Sparrow says with a sigh, gently shutting her door.

Once she was gone Alma shifted back in Esmé's lap and kissed her gently.

"Oh my birds you both were in denial majorly!" Ember says and Esmé raised an eyebrow.

"Darling, don't interrupt your mother."

"I'm not wrong, am I?" Ember says and looks over when Ayn propped herself up against the doorway of the parlor.

"No." The wight replies.

Alma rolled her eyes and continued with the story.

Esmé smiled and kissed her back, holding the older girl gently in her arms.

Alma kept a good hold on her as she layed them back down, laying on top of the younger girl.

Esmé hummed into her mouth and Alma smiled at this. She split away from her and peppered her face with kisses.

Esmé blushed and smiled slightly when Alma rubbed her nose against hers for a second before laying down beside her, the younger girl laying close beside her.

"Maybe we should take a nap." Alma suggested. "Given we have plenty of free time." Esmé smiled and nodded in agreement. "Can I ask something?" Esmé tilted her head in question and gestured for her to continue. "I usually sleep in my underwear since it's more comfortable. I'm just wondering if you would mind?"

"I don't mind." Esmé says in a hush voice, her cheeks burning slightly but paid no mind to it.

Esmé adverted her gaze as Alma removed her shirt and pants and laid back down. She noticed Esmé avoiding her gaze.

"Well don't ignore me now." Alma says with a slight smile and a teasing tone before hugging the girl close, feeling her hot cheeks against her chest when she did.

Alma pressed a kiss to her forehead as she held her gently. "No need to be embarrassed at all. You can be comfortable with me."

Esmé hummed softly and leaned closer against her, her eyes shutting a bit as she got comfortable, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Alma smiled at this as she held Esmé against her warm skin. She felt closer to the younger girl.

"Get some rest, I'll be here. I promise." The older girl says softly and Esmé let her eyes close.