Chapter 59

Later that night Alma and Esmé were getting ready for bed. "What was that call about earlier?" Alma asked gently.

"Miss Crow said there's a new student training to be a ymbryne. She's around the age I was when I graduated. The council wants me to be there for about a week to mentor her." Esmé sighs, face planting on to the bed.

"Oh." Alma said sadly. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I know honey, I'll miss you too." Esmé says, nervously taking her hand and Alma seen the slight shake in her hands.

"Is something else on your mind?"

"I'm not exactly looking forward to going back there." Esmé sighed.

A silence fell between the two, Esmé playing with the woman's fingers as she was deep in thought.

"Sweetheart, it won't be for long." Alma said gently, hoping to ease her nerves.

Esmé just hummed a response, running her finger over Almas wedding ring. The older woman gently ran her hand over her back, pulling her close to her.

"I love you." Alma said gently. "If you want, you don't have to go. They can find a replacement."

Esmé thought it over. She was head of the council. She shouldn't appear weak in front of them and back out.

"No it's alright, I'll be okay." She sighed. "I love you too, Alma."

The younger woman eventually drifted off to sleep, her hand still holding the older woman's while Alma was up reading by the lamp on her nightstand.

Esmé was caught in a nightmare, shaking a little. Alma noticed this and looked down at her sadly.

"Love?"

She gently tucked her hair back, setting her book down as she layed down, bringing her gently in her arms, wondering what was wrong.

Esmé didn't wake up, letting out a small cry in her sleep. "Sweetheart, wake up." Alma said gently, worried for her.

She caught her hand when she went to pull it, keeping it down as she looked over her unsure. Esmé eventually woke up, not meeting her wife's eyes.

"Honey are you okay?" Alma asked, reaching for her. But Esmé flinched away.

"What happened?" Alma asks softly and Esmé looked around unsure.

"Just- my wards, I could've sworn.." She glanced over the room deep in thought, her talons digging into the bed.

"They're gone, hun." Alma said gently. "Come here, please." She held out her arms for her.

Esmé hesitated, looking around the room once more.

"I'm going to go get a drink." She says softly, standing up and slipping the older woman's jacket on over her night gown.

Alma sent her a sad look, instead wrapping her arms around herself. Esmé left the room, going downstairs.

She got herself a glass of water, hesitating when she seen the alcohol but knew better than to drink that. She took a few sips, pressing the glass against her cheek to sort herself out.

Her wards were long gone, and she's safe. It was just a normal bad dream, nothing weird about that.

She shut her eyes and took a small deep breath, suddenly feeling someone wrap their arms around her and her instincts kicked in, punching back whoever it was.

"Christ!" Alma yelled, pulling away, hands moving to hold her nose, which Esmé had landed a good blow to.

"Oh honey, I'm so so sorry! I didn't know it was you, I didn't mean to-" Esmé says in a panic and Alma pulled her hand away, seeing the blood on her hand. "Alma I'm so so sorry, here let me."